Rescued cat has never used the litter box

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jaimetg
New Cat Chatter

Rescued cat has never used the litter box

Post by jaimetg »

Male, 3-4 years old, not neutered (yet).

This is our third rescue and he is in a really bad condition. Picked him up last Saturday and we are fully committed to get him back in shape and then adopted.

He is not a feral since his behavior is very docile with people. The only problem is that he won't use any litter box and we don't really know if he has ever done so. Tried four different types of litter and boxes:
- Silica gel crystals
- Clumping clay
- Pellets made of 100 % plant fibres
- Soil

Tried putting his pee and poo on the boxes, showed him how to scratch it, nothing.

Any advise? Anything that worked for you in the past?

Thanks!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Rescued cat has never used the litter box

Post by lilynmitz »

Is he toileting elsewhere outside the tray, or just “holding it in”?
jaimetg
New Cat Chatter

Post by jaimetg »

He's peeing and pooping at two sectors of the room, spaces between the litter boxes.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I would offer the largest most open trays you can get hold of with a classic non-clumping grit. You could try giving the trays a wash in bleach, bleach breaks down to ammonia which smells of cat pee and encourages cats to pee on top of it, makes bleach bad for cleaning up cat pee and a great tool for encouraging them togo where you want.

Have you tried different trays? Also have you tried putting them where he has been? Or if you can, put down newspaper where he goes with some grit on it to get him used to the idea. Some toms don't cover up so the grit may not mean much to him if he is used to leaving it exposed. That might resolve when he gets neutered. Experiment with where to put the trays as well.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have to agree with large open trays, you don't mention if you use covered trays or not.

I would also suggest getting something like puppy training pads that you can put down where he wants to go and then praise him for using them. Eventually put them in a tray in the same place and see if he will carry on going there, hopefully if he does he can be weaned on to litter instead of pads, but at least it would get it contained and in one place.

As has been said it could also be that he will improve after neutering. It could be that being brought into a strange place, that may or may not already have a scent of cat about it depending on whether you have other or how long it's been since you had one, he feels he wants to mark the place as his, when he has settled and knows it is his home he will improve.

The final option is the expensive one, and that is to ask your vet for a referral to a behaviourist.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I can really sympathise and can't add to the suggestions offered, but for a behaviourist you could email catchat's own, for advice without charge.....

[email protected]
jaimetg
New Cat Chatter

Post by jaimetg »

First of all, big thanks to all of you for your input.

For your reference, we put three, not covered, trays where he used to pee/poo that are approximately 80x40x60cm (31.5x15.7x23.6in) with the different types of litter mentioned above. He was not interested in them at all so we tried putting newspaper between the trays and he started to use it. Suddenly, and I am glad to report this, he used one of the trays to poo last night and we praised him abundantly for that! He chose the silica gel crystals. We really hope he keeps getting used to using it.

The current plan is to keep replacing the newspaper and moving it little by little closer and then into the tray.

The blood and urine test results will be ready on Monday and then we will know if there is anything wrong with him (like an urinary tract infection) that is preventing him from using them as well.

- I will make sure to wash the trays with bleach, thanks @Mollycat!
- I will try the puppy training pads, thanks @Ruth B!
- If all of your suggestions are implemented and not successful I will contact catchat's behaviourist, thanks @Alice!
jaimetg
New Cat Chatter

Post by jaimetg »

UTI confirmed and being treated with antibiotics, especial food and cranberry natural juice. He has started to use the litter boxes most of the time. Thanks again!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

good news - sounds as if you're almost home and dry!!