Cat sneezing a lot

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
gallerypiece
New Cat Chatter

Cat sneezing a lot

Post by gallerypiece »

Hi everyone. Before I say anything I made an appointment to take my cat to the vet in 2 days, but I would like some opinions. My cat has been sneezing a lot for about a week now. I don’t know if this matters but he is a 1 year old male. He has all of his shots and had his last checkup a few months ago. He will sneeze about 5-10 times in a row like a sneeze attack. Sometimes it’s only one sneeze. He is acting completely normal, energy levels are fine, he is eating and drinking normally, and he has no discharge coming from his eyes or nose even after he sneezes. This leads me to believe he is sneezing due to an allergy or something. I have 5 pet rats, and I live in the very upstairs/attic room of my house and it can get pretty dry. I don’t know if cats can be allergic to rats but I thought maybe they’re making him sneeze. Also yes I do let him outside because I live on a low traffic side street and he often stays in the backyard. Maybe something outside is making him sneeze? If anyone has any opinions on what I should do lemme know. Thanks so much.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat sneezing a lot

Post by Mollycat »

Hello and welcome, what a great combo keeping cat and rats, love it! Research done decades ago found that cats that were raised with rodents saw them as family and only 1 in 10 grew up to hunt those rodents and a high proportion never hunted any rodent. There has to be a market out there for rodent or even bird friendly cats!

Anyway - unlikely your cat would be allergic to rats though cats can get allergies. More likely grass or grass seed up in the nasal cavity but don't try to check this yourself. Can also be an upper respiratory tract infection so you're right to see the vet.