repelling cats from mini blinds

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
migrant7
New Cat Chatter

repelling cats from mini blinds

Post by migrant7 »

I have 2 "rescue" cats. They are allegedly sisters, one is blind. They chew on my vinyl mini blinds & have destroyed slats several times over. (They also chew on the plastic bags I use for garbage). I've researched the issue many times & used lemon spray on the blinds over a few weeks but all I got was messy, stained And chewed slats. Is there anything anyone has had success with that I can put on or near the blinds that could actually work? I'm so tired of restringing blinds/throwing away slats. I read of plants such as lavender, but I can only envision soil & leaves all over the carpet from that- they'll knock it over. I thought of tying hot peppers to the blinds, but that may not be effective since the pepper elements wouldn't be exposed. Thanks.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: repelling cats from mini blinds

Post by papa cat »

You may find that cats and venetian blinds (horizontal slatted ) are just incompatible. Plastic slats they will chew and destroy, metal slats they will chew and leave teeth marks. Vertical blinds might (but only might) be a better answer because they are often made of a thicker plastic material but they still might chew them and leave teeth marks. Perhaps a roller blind might do the trick and only pull it down enough to protect your privacy but out of the cats normal reach. Having said that can't you adjust the drop of your existing blinds so that it's enough to protect your privacy but out of the cats normal reach ?