Help appreciated! My usually affectionate cat is no longer!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Laurenamy2910
New Cat Chatter

Help appreciated! My usually affectionate cat is no longer!

Post by Laurenamy2910 »

Hello, this is my first post and would really appreciate some advice from some fellow cat owners please!

My 4/5 year old neutered cat has suddenly changed her behaviour completely. She has always been very affectionate- licking/coming to sit with you/sitting behind your head and is now wanting to spend all of her time outside and the odd times she comes in (usually at night) she sits on the windowsill and never comes over to me anymore. She used to nearly trip me up when I was getting her food on a morning and evening and now she’s just not bothered.. she will eat it when I put it out but will just not interact with me at all.

She has recently had ear mites which meant I had to clean out her ears, but she was totally fine with that and has only changed her behaviour this past week.

We also had another cat who had been with her for many years who sadly passed away in June.

I don’t know if these are contributing factors or there is something else going on? Worried about her though and missing her affectionate ways.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help appreciated! My usually affectionate cat is no longer!

Post by fjm »

The first suspicion when a cat shows sudden behavioural changes is that she is in pain or unwell - if she is less interested in food that could also be a sign of illness. I would take her to your vet for a check up, just in case.

You say she is either outside or watching from the window - is she guarding her territory? I had one cat who got very stressed when she became an only cat, despite the fact that she routinely hissed at my other cat if he came anywhere near her - she no longer had him around to see off any intruders. If another cat has recently moved into the neighbourhood she could be on the alert. Or, of course, a "kind" neighbour may be providing 5* treatment elsewhere - I have had that happen too! "Your dear little cat visited us again yesterday, so we gave him another bowl of cream!"
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Same thought here as fjm above really. Cats grieve in very different ways but it doesn't start 3 months later. Does she by any chance have a little dandruff on her back near her tail, or rough or greasy fur that stick up a bit? I have found those are sure signs of stress or pain. Has there been any change at all, from the brand of food or litter to placing of her things, furniture moves, scratch post moves, hiding places or perches taken away? Any change in the times you or nay one else is home? Any other signs like obsessive grooming or very sudden grooming? Anything odd in the litter tray - more or less, changes of consistency or colour? Following on from the mites they can develop an ear infection that eventually affects balance and hearing, have her ears been checked properly since the mites were dealt with?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I had a cat who behaved very much as you describe - I used to close the cat flap at night and he would perch in the gap where the upper window was open a little bit, until he was allowed out - and he wanted no contact with me

the lure of the outside in his case was a house up the lane, which had a gang of 5 cats - he loved to hang out with them, and only came back for food, as he didn't get any there

is it possible this is what is happening with your girl? that she needs other feline company?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have to agree with the others, the first thing is a vet visit, just to make sure there is no obvious medical reason for her change in behaviour.

While she may not be exactly grieving for her lost companion it could have chanced the social dynamics of the cats in the area and she is now worried about having to defend her turf by herself, things like that don't change overnight, so a three month delay would fit. If someone else has introduced another cat to the area that could also be the root of the problem.

Has anything else been changed in the house, even furniture being rearranged can upset a cat, we had one when I was a child that would virtually leave home for a week if a couple of chairs were swapped around, just coming in for food. They can be strange animals, and it can be very hard to know what they are thinking at times, I hope you can get to the bottom of the issue and have her back to how she used to be.
Laurenamy2910
New Cat Chatter

Post by Laurenamy2910 »

Thank you all so much for your advice!

Yes I have noticed her coat looks dull and when I brushed her yesterday there were noticeable white flakes!

There is also 2 new cats that have arrived on the street.

I have her in at the vets tomorrow afternoon just for peace of mind and so she can get checked over.

She is also fed at the top of the street but this has never stopped her coming home or anything.. hopefully all will go well at the vets!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ah, interesting. The two new cats, by any chance do they live between you and her alternative feeders? Do you get on well with them? I wonder if having a chat with them to see if they have noticed some changes too, might be worthwhile.

The dandruff thing is strange, you don't find it listed as a sign of pain or stress anywhere but it's such a common symptom.