Introduction resident 6 year old to 4month kitten (gone wrong)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
darklinkuk
New Cat Chatter

Introduction resident 6 year old to 4month kitten (gone wrong)

Post by darklinkuk »

Hey guys,

So I adopted a 4-month-old kitten that was about to go to a shelter I wanted the resident to have a playmate for when we're at work as he's super playful and I get worried he's bored alone

I followed the normal introductions guides my 4-month-old kitten lived in a separate room for 7 days

The resident got used to the strange smells and noises swapped sites until the new smell wasn't an issue

Feeding, cuddling, brushing and playing on the other side of the door

and have a feleaway friends plugin

2 days ago we did introductions through a screen Door had some hissing from the resident cat But he was curious enough to keep coming up for a sniff

Yesterday we did through the screen door and zero hissing the resident cat clearly wanted to come into the room trying to get through the screen touching noses and playful bopping the kitten so I knew he was ready to go face to face

It went well super well to the point they were playing chasing each other jumping into a large cardboard box that we turned into a kind of castle
this lasted about 2 hours separated them but they both clearly wanted back to each other so we let it happen
same again all play and fun for about another 3 hours!

Then fell asleep within 2 feet of each other https://i.imgur.com/MgT3Nkc.png

After they were done napping playing recommenced the resident chased him into another room He ran back hissing behind him and went into the corner I have no idea what changed it was less than 15 seconds out of my sight but it seems like the kitten did something that scared him

Now we tried again today and more hissing and running the kitten wants to play so he runs right into his face but the cat hisses to no avail the kitten isn't fazed and the resident runs under the bed hiding and hissing and the kitten tries to go under to play obviously I separate them at this point because if a fight breaks out under the bed I can't separate it

Tried this twice today after playing with the kitten and the adult at opposite sides of the room for quite a long time took him out of the room and played even more at least 30 minutes of high activity then feeding him he was relaxed and sleepy until the 9yo was let into the room at which point he wanted right back in his face And hissing and hiding started again

Also trying to put the kitten back in isolation is nearly impossible he will cry for 2 hours straight he can squeeze through the pet gate and climb the screen door and take it down At least until he's let into a larger room even if someone is with him he doesn't want to stay in the spare bedroom

plenty of toys a litter tray and food and water

**Do I ignore the cries completely? ( it makes me feel awful and can be frustrating as it's non stop)

Do I take multiple steps back?**

Do I let the kitten get under the bed and learn his lesson/get swatted? I don't want to lock the adult in so he feels like he has no escape he's clearly afraid and doesn't want a confrontation

the last idea I have is a small cat harness I can restrain the kitten from jumping in the cats face and let him come over as slowly as he likes

but he still thinks it's yesterday and the resident is his best buddy so he wants to pounce play and chase like last night

I really wish it was that way because they were both very happy for the few hours it lasted

lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Introduction resident 6 year old to 4month kitten (gone wrong)

Post by lilynmitz »

If it’s only hissing rather than full on fighting, I would be inclined to let them sort it out between them. Give both somewhere to retreat to when they’ve had enough, be prepared to step in if things are getting a bit OTT, and just try to calm things down a bit.

I tend to view hissing as a warning to “back off, I’m not in the mood” (putting it politely!). The older cat is possibly asserting it’s dominance and teaching the new cat the house rules as he sees it. As you say, it was a promising start, but now the real “getting to know you” and hierarchy stuff is kicking in.

Don't despair, I know this is distressing to watch (I went through it with my current two).

Try this link below which you may find useful

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I agree - if only one is hostile you are already halfway there

the only thing I would add is that I feel it may not help if the older cat is removed from what has always been 'his' space - let him assert himself when he feels the need - the natural thing is for him to teach a kitten manners, and administer the odd rebuke

but I suspect you will not have any major problems - in my experience older male cats faced with a newbie tend to take themselves off, whereas older females are more hostile, and apt to stay hostile
darklinkuk
New Cat Chatter

Post by darklinkuk »

Thanks for the advice guys

Should I go back to the barrier for a day or 2 give the adult a chance to get a sniff again?

Yeah but so far just hissing he doesn't seem to want to swat the kitten he's only went as far as lifting a paw

But he seems quite scared of the kitten now
To the point he walked into the room and saw him and ran away

I'll try again tonight there's plenty of high ground for the adult but he seems to prefer hiding under things and backs himself into a corner the kitten will relentlessly chases as he thinks it's a game

but I assume he'll run straight back out of the room and under the bed when the kitten starts to chase him

I guess the kitten needs to learn that it's not always playtime the hard way