Casper swallowed a longer string of plastic wrapping, how dangerous is this?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Casper swallowed a longer string of plastic wrapping, how dangerous is this?

Post by Joe_Danger »

My vet says to patiently wait for his next two stools and if he passes it it's all good, if not to call him and he should be able to sort it out easily and not to worry. I'm worried tho because I know plastic is toxic to cats but my vet says he is in no immediate danger. Casper didn't seem to care, he swallowed the thing before I could take it away from him, it's those thin transparent plastic wrapping type of things.

So just posting in hopes some of you have had experiences like this before and they turned out positive. Casper tends to eat anything that is long/string like or small enough, he needs to be watched when given something to play with but this he got to on his own without me noticing.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Casper swallowed a longer string of plastic wrapping, how dangerous is this?

Post by Mollycat »

I could be wrong here but my understanding is plastic toxicity isn't the issue, it's the length of the thing he has swallowed that can be a problem if it gets twisted up in his guts. Even a long human hair can cause a problem if it does that. On the other hand our dog brought up a load of plastic stuff he could not possibly have eaten in our care four months after we got him, it didn't do him any harm at all.

If Casper's plastic was really long be warned you may have to help it out once it peeks through ... if it's really long you might have to snip bits off rather than pulling as pulling could potentially damage him.

I had a kitten that started eating a piece of cotton thread that had a needle on the end, my mum rescued her running around distressed with her mouth jammed open. That was one life down! Same cat much later ate one of my hairs but that was very funny. Shecouldn't figure out why this poop was following her everywhere.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Casper swallowed a longer string of plastic wrapping, how dangerous is this?

Post by Joe_Danger »

Phew, he just threw it back up, completely intact, undamaged just a lil wrapped
I'm sorry about this topic but I had to ask, in all these years I've never had any of my cats swallow plastic.
Casper did swallow a Christmas decoration once, but that was just paper, he pooped it out, he also swallowed a string once, that came out too.

Like it's not that he is trying to eat this stuff or he is hungry, anything of a particular shape and softness he gulps down
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Glad to hear it came back up again. Best keep an eye out for stray bits of stringy stuff if he’s fond of eating it, or it could get expensive at the vet’s!