Pleural effusion??

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Elmuelmu
New Cat Chatter

Pleural effusion??

Post by Elmuelmu »

Took my cat to the vet because of a dry cough that was getting more frequent. Chest x-rays showed fluid. Was given an antibiotic injection and an oral veraflox for one week.

Cat seemed a little better and was eating. We went out of town for a week and came back and the cat seems to have swelling in chest cavity. Second x-ray showed fluid, still, and doctor suggested another round of antibiotics.

Cat now has a swollen cheek. And the swollen chest is same. Cat is not breathing with an open mouth but I fear she is getting worse. Doctor basically said that if antibiotics don’t work it’s probably something that won’t respond to treatment(I.e cancer)

Not sure what else to do as I don’t want to put her through hell to find out there is. O treatment. Anyone have any similar experience with your cat in the past?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Pleural effusion??

Post by booktigger »

I'm surprised at the vet only giving antibiotics, I would have thought either draining the fluid or using diuretics
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Pleural effusion??

Post by Ruth B »

Has there been any attempt to identify what might be causing any infection.

While I know the symptoms are different, one of my cats suffered a bad upper respiratory infection about a year ago, swabs were taken and they identified the bacteria causing it (Mycoplasm), which i was informed is actually a blood parasite bacteria which then goes on to show as other infections. Treatment however is a long affair and I was given over 30 days of antibiotics to give her, and when that hadn't cleared it up, and getting the tables into her was a battle, she had an antibiotic injection as well with the warning that it might take another 30 day course of tablets. As giving the tablets got too traumatic and she is already in her late teens with the possibility of other things going on in the Ear, Nose and Throat department, in the end, we just decided to treat the symptoms if the injection didn't work. It has taken about a year and on and off respiratory problems, but finally it does seem as if she is recovering from it, although as said we think there are other things going on and she is in a slow decline, but we treat what we can without stressing her out.

Hope they can work out and treat what ever is causing the problem.