Amputee Cat struggling

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Amputee Cat struggling

Post by Diana »

Hey everyone

Firstly... It's wonderful to be back, I used to be a regular vistor here many years ago and this place was wonderful at advice and it was the first place I thought of when dealing with this tricky situation.

My grandmother has two cats, both elderly now. Simba is almost 14yrs and Betsy is about 12yrs. Sadly Simba had to have her front left leg amputated due to a cancerous growth near her paw. The growth was first removed hoping that this would remove the cancerous cells and hopefully keep her leg. However within 4wks the growth remerged with a vengeance. It was a very aggressive cancer so only solution was to remove the limb. This surgery took place in Monday 23rd, not long ago and she was allowed to come home same day however very late evening time. Suffice to say she was very sleepy and has pretty much rested ever since. I'm aware it's only been 3 days now or there abouts, however I've never dealt with tripod cats. Currently Simba is struggling and doesn't make much attempt to move anywhere. She's jumped up a couple times on chairs and has climbed the stairs very quickly, this happens always the minute my grandmothers back is turn cause ideally she needs to rest and be confined to one room. Besides that, she hasn't moved and is several struggling to jump down. She is carried down in the morning and she takes her place on the sofa and stays there til it's times to go to sleep. Both cats usually sleep with my grandmother in her room. The times she has moved was when she was placed on the floor. She walks ok, albeit very slowly... But I sense she's struggling and doesn't understand how to move at times. Plus her behaviour has become more aggressive, it alike she doesn't want to be touched.

Simba is going back for a check up tomorrow and my grandmother will explain the situation.

I'd like some helpful advice on this whole thing
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Amputee Cat struggling

Post by booktigger »

I think it is early days for her to have adjusted, especially at her age. The only time I've dealt with an amputee, she had to have cage rest for 10 days to make sure she didn't damage the wound. I'm surprised they allowed her home the same day. What pain meds have they given her?
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

She's on Metacam and I believe she was giving a shot of pain killer that tends to last for few days, I think. Not quite sure. She's not as mobile now, even with 4 legs. Her usual day involves sleeping for pretty much 85% of it and Simba isn't a active cat these days. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. When it comes to eating and drinking, she's doing that absolutely fine
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, it’s really very early days. That’s quite a trauma to recover from, and I don’t care what people say, they do respond to such events at an emotional level. Give her lots of gentle love and reassurance to help her get through the adjustment and recovery phase. It is surprising that the vet let her home so soon, and that she’s not on cage rest for a while.

She’s also got to learn how to move and balance in very different ways now. You can make life easier for her in the short term by creating little steps up onto her favourite chair or bed (sofa cushions or foot stools are good for that - I used to use them for my very arthritic cat Lily). Also put her food where she can easily reach it, if it's her front paw she’s lost, it might be difficult for her to get used to crouching down on only one leg, so perhaps raise her food and water bowls up a bit.

She may also still be in pain, which is understandable. This would also make her very subdued. There may even be some post op infection, which would have the same effect. Talk this through with your vet. Hope the visit goes well. Gentle fusses to your girl.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I forgot to say, I believe they find it harder to adapt to a front leg than a back. Could your grandmother confine her?
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

She's confined to one room currently and isn't being allowed full access of the house as such. Atm the sofa is her home and she is sticking to the same spot for the majority of the day. My Grandmother's vet did explain that Simba will need to be confined to which she has. I myself am shocked she was allowed home same day, but they seemed happy with her at the time and allowed her home only on the premise she'll be confined to one room.

She's not currently moving to get up to eat or drink and atm she's being fed in the spot she tends to sleep in during the day. We have steps and such things to make it easier for her to jump up and down.

I myself am very aware this was a huge op for a cat that's nearly 14yrs and I knew it would take her longer to adjust given fact she wasn't very active prior to the surgery. The vets they use isn't the vets I use for my cats but they are happy with how they dealt with this all, saying that it's shocking the was let home on dame day. Rest is key and she is getting lots of it. I'm guessing it could be months before she has fully adjusted.