My cat is caged for six weeks; both feeling desperate

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Blue Wind
Frequent Cat Chatter

My cat is caged for six weeks; both feeling desperate

Post by Blue Wind »

Our year old female had a run in with a fox or dog a fortnight ago. She had surgery for wounds and dislocations and has been prescribed six weeks cage rest.
Prior to this Daphne was an extra active cat with a wide territory for a female. She is finding confinement difficult, she is eating well though has been constipated. She plays with the water bowl (a heavy ceramic one) and the crate is soaked and I am having to water her at intervals. The cone will be coming off this week. The vet said she needs stimulation and I have bought one of the Trixie Boards but she is little interested.
I have sat her on my knee a few times so she could have the cone off, but although she enjoyed washing herself she became excited and scratched me extensively.
I am not where the next stage is, has anyone any tips or advice?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My cat is caged for six weeks; both feeling desperate

Post by alanc »

I had to cage rest my Tilly for over 8 weeks 6 years ago after major surgery to her back leg. She also is (well, was, she is getting a bit old now) an active cat and being a Maine Coon, rather larger than your girl, I expect! We survived - they do calm down a bit with time and accept their fate, although I had a few scares the first week.
How big is the cage? I used two dog crates, so she could have a litter tray and play area in one and bed and feeding bowl in the other. A plastic water bowl attached to the crate frame sorted out the worst of the play with water bowl business (and getting her bandage wet). One of Tilly's favorite toys is a mouse with a pull tail to wind it up which kept her amused.
I did have the advantage of two cats at that time, with Badger spending a lot of time on top of Tilly's cage, keeping her company. He also on at least one occasion caught a mouse which he gave to her to play with (I never admitted that to the vets, as she was not supposed to jump about.
Best of luck with Daphne and I hope she recovers well.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I know rather more about crate rest games for dogs than cats, but some ideas might be:
Playing whack-a-mouse - for example a small soft toy on a stick that appears in different places from under a blanket or box set against the crate . A box set on its side with some holes cut in the bottom to poke the mouse through might work. You can adjust the height and distance so that she doesn't overdo things. The same toy could hide under a blanket in the crate and wiggle temptingly.
Treats hidden under lightweight plastic balls in a muffin tin.
Clicker training some tricks.
Put the crate by a window, or play some cat friendly videos.

You will probably find that she adapts to the new routine quite quickly - healing is tiring, and sleep and rest are important. I have known people who felt so sorry for their post-op cat they let him out "just for a little run around" and undid all the careful work that had gone before - I know you don't need warning not to succumb to that temptation!
Blue Wind
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Blue Wind »

Thank you for your replies, it is good to hear from cat owner who have faced similar issues.
I went to the pet store to get an attachable water bowl today and Dappy worked out how to drink from it with her cone straight away, even the vet was impressed. I have put a toy in the cage with her on others advice. She is back for an Xray on Friday as her hock is very puffy and purple. Will keep you posted.
Goobergrapejelly
New Cat Chatter

Post by Goobergrapejelly »

How did you get on? My cat is just starting unexpected cage rest due to tearing his achilles tendon and I'm very nervous about how he will cope. Any advice appreciated
Bumblebee173
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bumblebee173 »

Our cat Charlie has ruptured his cruciate ligament & we have been told the best option is surgery followed by 12 weeks crate rest. He has been kept in since he hurt his leg & is crying at the door 24/7 - how is he ever going to cope with being in a cage 24/7 for 12 weeks? I can’t bear thinking about it. He is very wilful & stubborn, and a large 6kgs of cat. We love him so much but we just don’t see how he will cope. He is nearly 8 years old & the vet has said the other option is that we end his life as he is suffering. The money isn’t an issue (£4K+) but he is insured. It is just the idea of him being caged & knowing this could be the start of ongoing, lifelong issues with his leg & potentially pain, issues with mobility, etc. We have been told amputation not an option due to his size. Please give me any advice you have. For those whose cars have had cruciate ligament repair, what do you wish you had known before surgery? Thank you
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Bumblebee173 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:14 pm How is he ever going to cope with being in a cage 24/7 for 12 weeks? I can’t bear thinking about it.
I am at the tail end of this with a dog. For 3 years he was never on a lead from one month to the next, he had walks upward of 2 hours daily, he chased the ball, he dug to his heart's content in the woods. We noticed a slight limp after he had got cold and wet and put it down to a touch of arthritis but mentioned it to the vet anyway when he had his jabs. All hell broke loose. Lead rest, no more than 10 minutes walk and the lead, carry or assist up and down stairs (we live in a 2nd floor flat). We went 4 weeks and even the vet said he might be able to avoid the operation. He played with a puppy for 5 minutes and then in 2 months we could not stop the lameness. 2 days before Christmas, his cruciate snapped fully. It was a month before he had his operation, 6 weeks complete cage rest and carry for toiletting, then start 5 minutes walk for a week, 10 minutes the second week ... we can realistically aim for one hour off the lead by the end of the year.

Believe me, cat will cope and so will you. It seems impossible until you do it but you must be strong and stick to the programme, do not give in to the pleading eyes and yowling the place down because it will set you right back with all the associated stress, expense and starting all over again. I am now almost 8 months into our saga and honestly you will get through it, I promise. Just come and sound off on here as needed.

What do I wish I'd known before surgery? That it was all going to be just fine.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

The first week is the worst - after that they just seem to accept it.