New kittens help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Danharris83
New Cat Chatter

New kittens help

Post by Danharris83 »

My ginger female had 4 beautiful kittens yesterday at 4 am and I’m after some advice today my adult cat brought up her food this morning which she does sometimes because she eats to fast. About 9am today she brought one of her kittens out and was behind the sofa feeding it afte 30 mins she went back so I carefully put the kitten back with the other 3. Then 30 mins later she took a different one of the kittens to the same place and feeding it there. Is there anything I’m doing wrong. Any advice would be great
Danharris83
New Cat Chatter

Re: New kittens help

Post by Danharris83 »

I forgot to add that the radiator in the kitchen had just gone off so maybe she wanted a warmer spot I’ve put the radiator back on so hopefully it’s that
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

If possible I would put a bed for the family in the new spot - cats often move their kittens around. Make sure any temporarily left behind are kept warm, or move them to the new bed to be with her. If you don't want her to move them you may need to keep doors closed, and just let her out when you can watch her.

Small, more frequent meals may help the Mum while she is nursing - she may need a higher protein food too, either one formulated for lactating queens or a kitten food.
Danharris83
New Cat Chatter

Post by Danharris83 »

I will try that thanks she’s back in the original bed at the minute will update later
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

It is normal for them to move them after 24-48 hours as in the wild, the blood etc would attract predators. I'd be tempted to keep them in one room if you can so she doesn't pick somewhere unsafe for them. Nursing mums do need up to 6 times more food, and kitten is best.
Danharris83
New Cat Chatter

Post by Danharris83 »

Just woke up after a night shift and she’s moved them all next too the bed in the bottom of the scratch post