Close siblings and flea treatment

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Deedee_Dottie
New Cat Chatter

Close siblings and flea treatment

Post by Deedee_Dottie »

I have two sisters (5 months) who are very close and groom each other regularly. Last month I applied advocate spot on flea treatment to them for the first time since rehoming them from the sanctuary and the day after they wouldn't eat for a whole week! I could only presume it's because they licked the advocate off each other and it made them sick, even though the vet said it's unlikely, it's more than a coincidence.

I'm now scared to apply flea treatment to them for in case it happens again. Can anyone here with close siblings reccomend something that works for them? My vet doesn't do the flea injection! Should I seek it elsewhere? Or just change the spot/s I apply the spot-on?

Thanks in advance,
Nicole x
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Close siblings and flea treatment

Post by exlibris »

Did they drool a lot afterwards? Possibly even vomit? This would suggest they may have ingested a lot before it properly soaked in.
I've done a quick google and it might be they've not licked it, but reacted to one of the ingredients of that brand of treatment.
Or as a wild guess, possibly things have just tasted weird afterwards.

Definitely have a look at the active ingredients at the very least, and check the listed side effects. It's probably best see if the vet will answer a quick phone call question for free.
Sana
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Close siblings and flea treatment

Post by Sana »

I would go to the vets and see what's going on

Then take it from there