our 13 year old female cat has been popping all over house

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
macsnam
New Cat Chatter

our 13 year old female cat has been popping all over house

Post by macsnam »

We have two cats, 1 female and 1 male, both have been fixed. The female is 13 years old and the male is about 6 or 7.
The problem is that the female keeps popping all over the house and not in the litter box. We have tried many different home remedies and none seem to be working.
she is quite overweight and slow!!!! but its not all the time, it is like every couple days. I have sprayed the spot with different things but she keeps going back to it. I even tried cayenne pepper.
I just don't know what else to do.
Nancy
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: our 13 year old female cat has been popping all over hou

Post by KittyWitty »

Have you took her to the vets? If not take her to the vets.

She could have a underlying health problem that is causing it such as arthritis which would also tie in with you saying she is slow.

Maybe get a low sided litter tray that she doesn't have to strain to get into - if it is pain that is stopping her from getting into the litter box this should really help.
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by claire_lee »

Cayenne pepper will not help - in fact it will make the problem worse so don't do this again.

As cat ages go she is also not in the first flush of youth at 13 years old so she is entitled to slow down a bit so she may simply not be able to get to the tray in time - also as Kitty witty has said if she is arthritic it may be painful for her to get into it.

I'd agree that a vet visit and check over is a must - if she's previously not had any problems then something has triggered this and she is not a happy cat as a result.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Maybe she is getting Arthritis and she finds it tad difficult getting in and out. Does she wee in the box?