Cat eaten chicken bones

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tom86
New Cat Chatter

Cat eaten chicken bones

Post by Tom86 »

Earlier today my cat found its way into our compost bin and I caught him with some leftover chicken carcass in his mouth. I tried to get it off him but he loves his chicken and ran off outside.

Since then he seems a bit lethargic, he’s been lying on his side on the sofa next to us. As it’s late on Saturday the vets are closed, but I’m a bit worried. Is there anything I can do or that I should keep an eye on?

Thank you!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat eaten chicken bones

Post by Kay »

I'm afraid you are right to be worried - see discussion here https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter ... her-to-vet

small bones would presumably be worse

is there an emergency vet number you could ring to discuss the situation?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat eaten chicken bones

Post by Mollycat »

There's a very small risk of something very serious with bones, maybe more so now that cats aren't given the chance to learn to deal with them any more as they used to. The first cause I would suspect for lethargy might be just a nice happy sleep after a yummy stolen meal, but a call to your out of hours vet would be better to pinpoint eactly what to look for as a sign of trouble.

Sometimes I wonder how cats have survived as a species without us to pick the bones out of mice and birds and cook them.