1year old Kitten wants to move in with the neighbours HELP!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Rache
New Cat Chatter

1year old Kitten wants to move in with the neighbours HELP!

Post by Rache »

My 1 year old kitten Buzz the Bengal has been going around to the neighbours house who have been showing him attention lately(when asked if they are feeding him they said NO). He keeps going missing, when we search for him he is always over in their garden crying at the window to let him in. When collecting Buzz the last time he disappeared he was rubbing his self against my neighbours legs and generally showing her affection and not interested in us(his loving family, that miss him loads)we spent a lot of time, playing with his toys and having cuddles and tickles but now the neighbour encouraged Buzz over we feel like we have lost him because he doesn't even spend time at home anymore. Please help any suggestion?
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: 1year old Kitten wants to move in with the neighbours HE

Post by KittyWitty »

Is it a possibility for you to keep him in the house for a few weeks so they he relearns that your house is 'home'?

Best thing that I can think of
Rache
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rache »

I have kept him in all day today and we have spent some quality time playing with his mouse. I am just worried when I let him out he will go straight back. Really upsets me as Buzz has a loving home and someone is enticing him away from us.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

Rache wrote:I have kept him in all day today and we have spent some quality time playing with his mouse. I am just worried when I let him out he will go straight back. Really upsets me as Buzz has a loving home and someone is enticing him away from us.
Unfortunately it will take a lot longer than a day - a couple of weeks at least for him to relearn that home is with you
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Yes, I agree with Kitty Witty, you need to approach this as if your boy had come to live with you for the first time. He has, with or without their encouragement, come to see the neighbour's house as home. Be prepared to keep him indoors for several weeks so her can attach himself to you and the house again.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

He sounds adorable and if he popped into our garden I would make a fuss of him too! It is understandable that you feel the way you do. But are you being too hard on the neighbours?
I have mentioned this before on CC, but some years ago I lived at the end of a cul de sac. Our next-door-but-one neighbour had a cat who would spend most of the day sitting at their gate. One day she just walked across the road and moved in with the folks opposite. It was her decision. :roll:
I really hope it will not come to that!
KittyWitty is right it will take a while, lots of treats and fusses and perhaps another word with the neighours.
Good luck, let us know how you go on.
Rache
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rache »

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I think your right I need to start again and treat Buzz as he is a new addition to our family. I am definitely keeping him in for a few weeks. I was thinking of buy the feline plug in. What are your thoughts??