Drastic behavior change

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Sebastians mom
New Cat Chatter

Drastic behavior change

Post by Sebastians mom »

Hello, I am hoping I can receive some insight to what is going on with my cat. I have a 7 year old Man Coon kitty that is typically very interactive with me that his behavior has changed considerably over the past couple of weeks. First I will list the mannerisms that have changed; he used to come when called from where ever he was in the house, he used to love to lay on my bed upstairs during the day while I was at work, he used to greet me at my bedroom door in the morning when I awoke and would want petted and would pat at my feet if I did not pay attention to him, he would follow me just about anywhere in the house, he would want to play in the morning after eating, he would come into the bathroom for attention while I was getting ready for work, he would greet me at the door when I came home or would come running downstairs when I came home, he would love to be held and loved on and rocked by me but all of this has changed and I am very concerned. I have recently had him to the vet (one week ago) as he developed scabby bumps on the base of his tail, back & throat area. He has had these before and the vet treated him for an allergic reaction to flea saliva with a prednisone shot. This is the second time within a few months that this has occurred. I explained that he wasn't himself lately when I was there. The vet checked his vitals but did not find anything irregular. He had demonstrated some difference in behavior prior to going to the vet but I assumed it was his allergies but he has continued to change instead of getting better. Prior to going to the vet I did notice a few times when trying to jump onto either the bed, coffee table or bench that he would miss. He is still eating but I did notice that he wasn't drinking water as much, but I changed his dish and he is drinking now. There have been no changes in his stool as I frequently scoop his box. But now he no longer is a interactive kitty. I find him in unusual spots i.e. on top of the island counter or on top of the dining room table. He no longer greets me at my bedroom door in the morning but does still meow at me for his food in the morning when I come down. He no longer follows me. He eats and lays on the floor in front of the heat vent. I can still hold him but not as long as previously and when I put him down he goes right back to the same spot. He did play a little this morning but not as aggressive as usual and now he is back in his spot. Please help! In tears.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Drastic behavior change

Post by Kay »

he sounds like a cat who is not well - his scabby bumps might have nothing to do with what is going on with him, and an exterior examination can only go so far - I would recommend you go back to the vet and ask for a complete check - blood tests, urine test, xrays etc - it will cost more and may not discover anything, but will set your mind at rest if nothing is found, and if there is something that needs treating the earlier the better
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

He sounds to me like a cat in pain - if he has had problems jumping etc it could be as simple as a strained muscle, or it could be a spinal injury. Either should heal with rest and pain relief, but I would ask your vet for a thorough examination, followed by blood tests etc if needed. I would also check his foot placement, and watch for any weaving or stumbling when walking or going upstairs - both indications of a trapped nerve in the spine - and try to avoid letting him jump, just in case.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Agree with Kay and fjm this sounds like an unwell cat and at 7 years old he is approaching the age to be a candidate for a whole range of possible issues that can all be revealed by a basic blood test. My vet has the tech on site as many vets do and we just wait 20 minutes for results that can indicate thyroid, kidney, liver, inflammation, and a lot more, or at least give a clue where to look deeper.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I agree with the others, this needs a full investigation. An exterior examination cannot always reveal what is wrong. My Maine Coon Badger showed no symptoms that could be seen from outside even the month before he died of cancer. (Badger didn't show any personality change, either, he remained the big goofy cat he had always been.)
Sebastians mom
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sebastians mom »

Thank you everyone for your input & thoughts. I took Sebastian back to the vet and had bloodwork and some other exams done. We found that his sodium level was high, his potassium level was low and that he is anemic. Even though he is an indoor cat, he was being bothered by fleas and this was causing a reaction. So with some flea treatment, alot of cleaning & alot of praying he seems to be on the mend. He greeted me at the door yesterday when I came home. I was so excited. He is playing now too. Praise the Lord. I am relieved but will continue to monitor his health until he is completely back to normal. Thank you.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Excellent news! Always wise to check - he must be feeling so much more comfortable now.