Second cat query

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Krabedur
New Cat Chatter

Second cat query

Post by Krabedur »

I'm a first time cat owner and have had my current male cat, Milo, for 1,5 yrs. I rescued him privately from a family. He was 6 months when I got him so 2 now. He was brought up with a dog and cat, and I also had a dog when I got him. My dog has now passed away so I'm considering a second cat. Milo is the most laidback cat ever. Very cuddly, always affectionate and have never hissed or clawed anyone. Not even when barked at or chased by my old dog. He can be touched anywhere and not protective of food etc. Basically a gentle, laidback softie. My feeling is he'd get on great with any other cat. But is that's wrong assumption? I e I've assumed as Milo is the 'residential' cat that any new cat would bow down to him. And I'm assuming that when Milo even would try and befriend my old dog who didn't want to befriend him, that a cat would be no problem....Gah! Am I naive? Would a male of female cat be better? Is it better to find a cat the same age as him (so I could also judge the temperament of the new cat) or is a kitten better so Milo can 'raise' it? Any advice?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Second cat query

Post by Kay »

personally I'd go for another male around the same age, who has been neutered a while back (I assume Milo is too) and preferably who has been living in a home environment so has not learned to be terratorial or fight for food

but if you fall in love with a cat who has had a rough time living as a stray, and who needs a home more than most, then I daresay you and Milo would learn to cope in time - the fact that you are thinking properly about it is half the battle
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Unfortunately how a cat relates to one species is a poor indicator of how they are likely to respond to another species. The greatest gentlest cuddlebug in the world could be unrecogniseable when presented with another cat. Then again it's quite common for a cat that won't let people touch him or who has had a really rough life fighting other feral cats to be wxquisitely gentle with kittens.

I must admit I'm not generally a fan of bringing more cats into a home that already has a resident. I had to with my Boo as he had always lived near others and was so desperately miserable and stressed alone. And my Henry walked in while we had a cat and went out recruiting more cats to move in with us. The common factor? They were both boys, both late neutered. I have been told boys are more sociable, but in the end every cat is an individual. Also, although the cat is by nature a solitary animal. domestic cats are so adaptable. Just as long as you always remember that a new cat is not the cat he was brought up with, and be prepared for the time, patience and possibly nerves of steel it can take if introductions are not easy, then offering another cat a home is a wonderful thing to do and you'll get plenty of help from this forum too.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

It really is a lottery. We had a big lad Sam, then Elsie, who got on pretty well, and when Sam moved on to another home, we got Ziggy about 5 months later, and they also got on fine from day one. Sadly Ziggy died very young, and we got Toby, who showed every sign in the rescue centre of being a perfect match, much like Ziggy in his sweet and friendly character, a younger male, cat friendly, etc etc, all boxes ticked. Elsie hated him on sight. It was hell.

We did eventually get her to accept him but it was a baptism of fire, and tbh I'm not sure I could cope with that again, even though Elsie does on the face of it seem to enjoy the company of other cats.

All I can say is do your research - the rescue centres can be really helpful knowing which are the most likely compatible cats, a young neutered male will probably be best, introduce them slowly (there are links on this site that will help with that - Cat Hierarchies, and The Bonding Room) and cross your fingers!