Cat has small sores, what can I do?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Unicorn_Emi
New Cat Chatter

Cat has small sores, what can I do?

Post by Unicorn_Emi »

I recently acquired a beautiful red and black tortoiseshell cat who is my absolute world, she was homeless and she basically found me hehe. But last few days I've noticed small sores on her, the worst is her neck, its about the size of a penny, and the fur is missing from around the sore, it looks very red and was slightly weepy. I've noticed she scratches/bites it alot which definitely isn't helping...(she did have fleas a few months ago when I first got her but treated her immediately and she definitely doesn't now, she is a housecat anyway).. Unfortunately I cant afford to take her to the vet or I most certainly would. Can anyone suggest any pet creams/treatments I can get for her? Thank you for reading, any suggestions would be very much appreciated :!: :!:
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat has small sores, what can I do?

Post by exlibris »

I've been there - no money for the vet. See if you can get to your local PDSA, go here to see if you're eligible, the rules have changed a bit, so it's worth checking www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility.
If you can stomach horrible pictures, google cat skin complaints and look at the images. If you're good at seeing the subtle differences you might be able to diagnose the problem yourself and deal with it yourself. But be ready for the only answer being vet prescribed medication.
Scratching could be something to do with stress - has there been some sudden change that she might be reacting too? Is she neutered, could be hormonal (you can get her done for free)?
Really, bringing her to a vet is the best thing to do, but I know where you are right now as having no money gives very little choices. It really sucks.
Good luck.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat has small sores, what can I do?

Post by lilynmitz »

Good advice from exlibris. I'd also suggest you look at what flea treatment you used, some of the cheaper ones (eg Bob Martin) can cause skin problems. The vet prescribed ones are more expensive, but it works out cheaper if it doesn't result in skin conditions and the cost of vet visits to sort it out. The fact that she's a house cat doesn't mean she won't get fleas. The little blighters can come in from anywhere.