Plz help figure out kittens gender

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tanda
New Cat Chatter

Plz help figure out kittens gender

Post by Tanda »

Sorry can anyone help me I've found my self a bit stummped.
Is my cat a boy or a girl.

Suposedly "ginger" cats are rare to find as girls...
Let's have a gender reveal party hopefully for Tundra soon :-)

Names Tundra found him on the coldest day of the year in a car almost frozen...
The vehicle as you guess is a Toyota Tundra.
Attachments
0_IMG-20191126-WA0005.jpg
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Plz help figure out kittens gender

Post by Mollycat »

Hi, not the kitten sexing expert but from a genetics point of view the 'rare' ginger female is a complete myth. The only colour-gender link is that tortoiseshells are female (except for the very rare usually sterile male) and the scientific reason is that the red/black gene is carried on the X chromosome. Boys have only one X which is paired with a Y that has no colour gene, so can only be red (ginger) OR black. Girls have two X chromosomes and therefore can have both red AND black.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

There are definitely ginger females - one is purring on my knee at this very moment! If in doubt pop her into your vet's and ask - better to be sure, as females can get pregnant by 5 months old.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

if that photo is upside down, then I would say female - they have a slit whereas males have a round hole

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advi ... ttens.html
Tanda
New Cat Chatter

Post by Tanda »

Yes the picture was taken while she was on her belly. I always thought it was a female too. The way she pee it drips down it dosent really come out like a fountain.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

Only about 15-20% of pure ginger cats are female. This is because the ginger colour is X linked and dominant. That means males only need to inherit one ‘ginger gene’ to be born ginger as they only have one X chromosome so only one parent needs to be either ginger, ginger and white or tortoiseshell. Pure ginger females have inherited ginger genes from both parents because if they hadn’t, the other X chromosome carrying different colours would be expressed in some of the cells, which is how you end up with tortoiseshell.

There is no sex difference in the number of ginger and white cats, however and I notice some of the fur appears to be white on your cat, although that might just be how it looks on the photo.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think the OP's question will now have been resolved one way or the other - the kitten must be rising 3 by now!