Kidney Disease

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Love0708
New Cat Chatter

Kidney Disease

Post by Love0708 »

Hi All! My 15 year old cat was recently diagnosed with beginning kidney disease. I have been doing tons of research and it seems people go back and forth with low protein. My cat is about 7lbs and can’t afford to loose any weight. Any recommendations or suggestions about renal foods???
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kidney Disease

Post by Mollycat »

Sorry for your news but don't panic. This https://www.felinecrf.org/ has more information than you could ever need but more important it's realistic, down to earth and not trying to sell you anything. So I would say it's better advice than you get from the vet or at least to be considered alongside test results.

The reason you can't get a definitive answer on protein is that there isn't one. Protein does put stress on the kidneys and so traditional advice says reduce it, but older cats need it (some research suggests as much as kittens do) to build and maintain muscle and some can be lost through failing kidneys in urine.

For a good renal food, the key is what your cat will eat (quoted from Tanya's Pages) and there is a huge choice now. I fed Hills dry to my first crf cat who did so well the vet was surprised she had the long and happy life she did, but that was all there was back then. My recent mild crf boy had other issues and after a while couldn't keep it down. My 12 year old girl had the diagnosis in March and is on normal food and all but one of her readings have gone down into the normal range.

Has your cat lost weight, or is 7lbs his/her natural slim weight? Still has a good appetite? Are you dealing with a problem that has already started or looking to prevent it from happening in the first place? If it's prevention you'e looking for, personally I would probably offer the cat's favourite decent food at 40-50% decent meat protein at this stage, but that's only from my experience.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kidney Disease

Post by fjm »

I am in a very similar position to you - Tilly was diagnosed earlier this year, has always been small and light, and I have been struggling to keep weight on her. My vet's recommendation, backed up by my own research, was low phosphorus and moderate high quality protein, but I struggled to find or cook anything that met this definition that she would actually eat. Vet suggested adding chicken or fish to a good renal diet to maintain her weight, but she refused that. I had to experiment to find a renal food she likes, and then experiment again to find the optimum feeding schedule (small amounts, mashed, in a flat bowl, presented under her nose several times a day).

I wish it were possible to buy variety packs of renal food, with a mix of different flavours and textures from different manufacturers, but I could find no one selling packs like that, and samples don't seem to be widely available. I went to one of the big online sites and compared ingredients and protein levels across the different foods (Tanya's website, referenced above, is brilliant, but the comparison tables are still in the process of being updated). I chose as wide a mix of textures and flavours as I could find and afford from those I considered suitable, and from those found the one Tilly enjoys - Purina Pro-Plan Renal chicken. Most of the others are pates, and she wouldn't touch them. I also got a bag of renal kibble that she browses, and she gets chicken, beef or tuna served separately. And mice, voles, and treats, of course!

Bottom line is that it is important to keep your cat eating and to maintain weight - at this stage reducing phosphorus levels in the food as well would be a bonus. I would choose from amongst the higher protein renal foods, looking at those that are similar in texture to whatever your cat currently prefers, and add a little cooked meat to the ones he/she likes if you think they are too low in protein. And if all are refused keep feeding the usual food.