taking kitten to visit new litter????

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
newTOcats
Returning Cat Chatter

taking kitten to visit new litter????

Post by newTOcats »

Hi I'm new to cats so wanted some advice please...we got our first kitten a week ago she's 9 weeks now. We decided she should have a friend so we've found someone with a litter. Their kittens are 8weeks old and they won't let them go until 11_13 weeks but he said we can take our kitten in the mean time for a visit to get to know them. I'm a bit worried in case the adult cats (kittens are with mum and dad) hurt my kitten. Do you think it will be ok? X
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: taking kitten to visit new litter????

Post by KittyWitty »

anyway the mum and other adult cats can be shut out the room while kittens are meeting? Either way you will need to go through the introduction process when new cat comes home so is it really worth putting your resident cat through this stress?
newTOcats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by newTOcats »

Will it be stressful? I thought the kitten would like to play with them. I think she misses her litter mates? X
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Yeah it will be stressful taking the kitten to a brand new place with tonnes of different smells and other cats and the travelling to and from.

Personally I would not put my cats through that and as I said you'll need to do a introduction and bonding room in your own home when new kitty comes home anyway - it is unnecessary stress.

Have you looked up bonding room and introducing cats? If not here is some info:

http://www.catchat.org/hierarchies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.catchat.org/bonding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is very unwise to just put the kittens together and just expect everything to be OK.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Plus you have to be very careful neither kitten is carrying any lurking virus'.......
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

No, No and many many more NOs!!!!

Please go to a rescue as opposed to just enabling some idiot who didn't bother to get their cat spayed and so adding to the already massive death toll due to the sheer neglect to spay!!

A reputable rescue will be able to advise, give you guidance and when you get the kitten assist and support if needed.

PLEASE DON'T ENCOURAGE IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP BY TAKING A KITTN FROM A BACK STREET BREEDER.

It helps nobody and just adds to a escalating UK wide issue with rescues that are already at crisis point.
newTOcats
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by newTOcats »

Unfortunately I'm not able to rehome from the rescues near me as I have 21 month old twins and they won't allow it! I am very pro rescue but I definitely think they need to be less strict as two kitten s have missed out on a lovely home and I've been forced to buy which I'd rather not (not to do with the money) And before people say you shouldnt have a kitten with such young children I think it's very important for them to grow up together and the children and kitten love each other and are learning lots.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I wouldn't bother taking the kitten to meet th other litter. It won't make a jot of difference to the outcome and it will stress her.
misspaws
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by misspaws »

I would not put your kitten through this. We all love our cats but it is a big mistake to think that they see the world as we do and would appreciate the opportunity to to 'pick' a new friend from a litter. Give your cat time to settle and get to know her. The risk from disease both to your kitten and the kittens in the litter is also high . Diseases in such young cats may not present any symptoms to start with but can be highly contagious and I am surprised that the owner of the litter thinks this is a good idea. Your kitten has enough to deal with getting used to her new family and there is good reason why a rescue centre would not want to give you a kitten. I think you have quite enough on your hands a the moment without putting yourself and your kitten under the extra stress that a new kitten would bring.

Give it time, allow kitten,you and babies to settle.