Help with feeding

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Rebeccamarie
New Cat Chatter

Help with feeding

Post by Rebeccamarie »

Hi everyone,
I’m need of some advice. I have a 4 month old mixed breed kitten. Health checked and all worked and fleas. My issue is she is very fussy with her food. She has fresh water everyday. Has wet one side and dry the other side. She will lick all the gravy/ jelly of the meat and leave it. I have so many foods most she won’t even attempt. She will take one look/sniff and walk away. Today I have bough Felix she ate a few bites and walked away. I tried her with just dry food but she also does the same with that. I have even tried mixing wet and dry together but that did t work either. I have been to my local pets at home they said to try royal Canin which again I’ve ended up binning because she won’t touch it. Is there embody who have been through the same and managed to solve what they found there cat enjoyed.
Sorry for the long post. Thanks becca
Amber_Kaddu
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Help with feeding

Post by Amber_Kaddu »

I'm sorry but I'm a firm believer in the hard love approach and I would just put a bowl of good quality food down and leave her to it, no animal will starve themselves and it's possible she's inadvertently learned that by not eating any or much then it gets changed for something different
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

That's not recommended for cats, it only takes a few days of drastically reduced calorie intake to put a cat at risk of hepatic lipidosis which is at best expensive to treat and potentially life threatening http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/cat-hea ... ickly-kill. I currently have a dog who has only eaten two cat pouches and three sausages since Saturday night, when he should have had 2 tins per day, he is a poorly pup and we are keeping in close touch with the vet, so yes animals will starve if they put their mind to it. I would leave it till the next mealtime, not change it immediately, but not keep insisting when the cat clearly hates it.
Last edited by Mollycat on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebeccamarie
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rebeccamarie »

I have started leaving it there thinking she will eat it when she’s hungry. But then she isn’t eating the amount she should be daily, doing it that way either. and start loosing weight. That’s what worries me the most.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Have you checked with a vet? There may be a medical reason for her not eating or loss of appetite
Rebeccamarie
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rebeccamarie »

Yes was told to put her on royal Cainn didn’t even attempt it. Will take her back. Just wanted to hear if anybody has been through the same and got the problem solved and could share with me x
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Could you ask the vet for some of the food they put cats on when they need appetite stimulation and high energy? Just to help get her started.
Amber_Kaddu
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Amber_Kaddu »

Mollycat wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:48 pm That's not recommended for cats, it only takes a few days of drastically reduced calorie intake to put a cat at risk of hepatic lipidosis which is at best expensive to treat and potentially life threatening http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/cat-hea ... ickly-kill.
Interesting reading, thanks :)