Allergies in Cat - Help!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
debra+cooper
New Cat Chatter

Allergies in Cat - Help!

Post by debra+cooper »

My 4 year old male marmalade tabby, Cooper, has undefined "Allergies" that cause raised bumps on his tail which he then bites, scratches and opens straight line lesions. They heal (slowly) if treated and then within 1-2 weeks they come back again. He has had a biopsy and is at the end of a current steroid prescription. This has been going on since March of this year and we have been to the vet so often that I have used up my savings. No one seems to know what to do or can even identify this. He is an indoor cat, he has had no change of food since he was a kitten. I vacuum and dust as much as I can, I live in a small cottage, and I have an air filter that is on when I am home. I don't know what to do any more - the Vet doesn't have any further suggestions but I can't leave him in a cone all day to go to work - he won't be able to eat or drink. I had to get an extra deep cone because his tail is so long he was able to get to it in a standard size one. I can't lose my job, but I also don't want to come home to bleeding tail of my poor cat. It is so irritating to him that he actually yells at his tail and chases it until he can get to the irritation. This is only on his tail. He doesn't exhibit allergy symptoms any where else or any other behavior. Help, Anyone? I am out of money and emotionally drained. Thank you.
Cooper tail.jpg
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Allergies in Cat - Help!

Post by exlibris »

Are you sure these injuries come from an allergy? Is it possible that Cooper is actually causing this himself? While you're out he might be getting really stressed out by something. He might have been fine for the last 4 years, but things sometimes just get triggered in cats. My Backy never marked anything, until he hit 10 and local cats outside began to really bother him. If you have some annual leave you could maybe try and monitor what goes on just outside your house during the day when you're not here?....or if Cooper is up to something when you're not in. (Filming would be even better, but I'm guess you don't have the equipment)

Cooper could have randomly become allergic to what you've been giving him regularly, food or flea treatment. If the vet hasn't done a food allergy test, then you could try different food to try an rule things out.

You say you live in a cottage - is this a really old one, 80 years plus? Things like old plaster have different properties mixed in, including stuff like real horse hair! If you have a part of the house that is a bit crumbly that you don't know about, then this could agitate Coopers skin. Cats have a habit of getting into places not normally accessible. Even if you have a modern home it might be sensible to look in his hidey-holes, you might want to look at what he might be sleeping next to.

I hope this gives you a few ideas.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Allergies in Cat - Help!

Post by exlibris »

Also, did you say it was always just his tail, never anywhere else? Very odd it hasn't spread beyond that area.