Relocating a litter tray

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
iankearns
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Relocating a litter tray

Post by iankearns »

We have had two newly adopted cats about two weeks and we are planning to open more of the house for them to access. Currently they have been restricted to an extended kitchen area and one living room until we discover their behaviour traits.

When they do roam further into the house they will get access upstairs (not bedrooms) and also two other social areas/living rooms however this would mean that if we leave their litter tray where it is at the moment then it will be some distance away so we were considering moving out to a downstairs toilet which is now central. My only concern is that the cats would not locate the moved tray and start fouling in other places or where the tray used to be. I could use a second tray and then remove the original test in due course.

Is there a better or right way to do this? Eventually they will have outdoor access but not until the New Year at the

TIA

Ian
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Relocating a litter tray

Post by Mollycat »

Good on you for thinking ahead about this as it can cause issues.

However in my experience cats will search everywhere for a litter tray rather than soil somewhere they shouldn't, unless there are psychological issues, so hopefully your worries should be unfounded.

The recommended minimum is one tray per cat plus one though ... so three for your two. Would it be possible to add one or two more trays and leave the current one where it is as well?

I had two for two cats (due to lack of space) but watched carefully for any issues. They both happily used both, at times it was poop in one and widdles in the other, other times it was one tray each. Now I'm down to one cat but have kept both trays and she uses either.
iankearns
New Cat Chatter

Post by iankearns »

Thanks for the advice.

Interesting how views differ from person to person and site to site; when I collected the cats I was told one tray for the two as 'they will get a strong sense of where toilet is' so I have been running with a single large tray which both cats appear happy with and no major issues (one minor where a cat missed!).

Can happily add a second tray in the downstairs loo which they have limited access to at the moment but will be open all the time in coming days.

Thinking about it then there might be times when the downstairs loo door is closed (privacy and discretion) so just a bit of a random thought then would it be any point putting a cheap cat flap in an internal door so they can use it when the door is closed??

Regards

Ian
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I think the 1+1 tray rule is good for kittens, who are still learning to be house trained, but I've always been able to get away with one large tray for two adult cats, although I used to put another out if I was going to be away for more than 10 hours, and then I put it alongside the usual tray - if when they have the run of the house there is any chance of their being shut out from the room where the tray currently is then an internal door cat flap would be a good idea - it also means you can shut them away if you need to, which is very useful if you are having work done in the house

I do wonder about a downstairs loo, though - if you gave them access via a cat flap, it would be a bit of a shock to them and anyone using the loo at the time if one of them popped in
iankearns
New Cat Chatter

Post by iankearns »

LOL yes Kay, I had thought that for both person using the loo and the cat coming through the cat flap the initial look at each other could be one of surprise!! :)

On the topic of introducing another litter tray, do you just let the cats investigate and then find the secondary tray or would you take some litter and detritus to put in the new tray so there is a scent to follow?

The cats themselves are sisters and just coming up to 3 years old. They are two DSH Tabbies with a lovely temprament and desire to play.

Cheers

Ian
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

An internal cat flap has got to be better than what I have, which is a manual system of shouting at anyone who closes the bathroom door when leaving it and never closing it when I'm alone in the house. Unfortunately the door opens outwards into a narrow hallway so the door to the convenience is anything but convenient. Cats like to sit with me though and at times I've had a guard of honour of two cats and one dog waiting for me to come out, if I have shut the door on them, and also had to evacuate a bath early when one came in and left me with a deadly toxic pong.

I always had one tray no matter how mny outdoor cats I must admit, there is no single right answer but I also find multiple trays stay cleaner and cats seem happier, especially two indoor only. Multiple trays also gives you the chance to try different litters and tray designs.

I have always just let them find it, if it's convenient for them they will track it down.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

When I've moved newbies from their safe room to the rest of the house, I've always moved the tray by degrees from one spot to the other (ie from upstairs to the utility room) over the course of about 3 days. Seems to work ok.

I have two cats and two covered trays side by side, which worked well till Toby suddenly decided that both trays were HIS, so when Elsie uses one he sits on top of the tray and bats Elsie as she comes out :lol: . She is now resigned to using the garden, which is a pain to clean up. I'd much rather they used the trays!
iankearns
New Cat Chatter

Post by iankearns »

lilynmitz wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:37 pm When I've moved newbies from their safe room to the rest of the house, I've always moved the tray by degrees from one spot to the other (ie from upstairs to the utility room) over the course of about 3 days. Seems to work ok
Thanks for the helpful pointers. This pretty much describes the scenario we are in; moving them from their current safe location (for us and them!) to the wider house. I just feel they will 'forget' or not be bothered to make it back to the litter tray if they are upstairs or further away. Currently they are no further away than about 12-15' from the tray. Once they are allowed upstairs then the tray will be on the next floor down and I dont really have space to put a tray on the first floor unless it is in the bathroom which isnt really convenient as the room is small.

Fingers crossed, lets see how we go!