Cat introductions

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
puddincat1
New Cat Chatter

Cat introductions

Post by puddincat1 »

Hi There! It's been a very long time since I've been on cat chat but I am in need of a bit of advice :)

I have cat who's just over 7 - she's very playful and sleepy and a little set in her ways. Recently one of my colleagues had a cat visiting her garden who was a stray. He's lovely ginger and didn't seem all that old 9 (vet wouldn't age him then put three on their records). After three weeks of him visiting my friends garden and a trip to the vet ascertained that there's no microchip I caught him and brought him home. She's been told he was left behind by a neighbour when they moved.

I've had him at home since the end of October and he's a sweetheart if a bit boisterous. He's had his injections and was neutered just over a week ago. I've been really careful to keep them separate but they're aware of each other. I've one room I've been using as a buffer zone which they both go into (separately).

The first introduction went ok - my cat hissed a bit and little boy seemed like he was deferring to her but it was for about to minutes. Since then I've opened the door a little and let them see each other. Second time i fully opened the doors it went a bit less well and he chased her up the stairs and she started growling at him. So I backed up and went back to peeping them at each other through the door and I bought a feliway friends diffuser.

Today I decided to give it another go - there was some growling and then he chased her up the stairs (and lost her when she jumped on the bed) there was some staring and growling from her (which he wasn't too bothered by but again he did seem to be deferring to her a bit) but then he chased her downstairs and cornered her in the living room so we broke it up. She's come back downstairs since and calm seems to have been restored but they are separate. I shall peep them through the door again tomorrow. Its been a few days of bottle brush tails at different points.

The problem I have is twofold - i don't want to rush things but my friend who's helping me goes away for a few weeks on Wednesday and I'm at away at new year and the cats are going to a cattery for a few days. The cattery only had one pen and when I booked it I told the lady they hadn't met yet so I didn't know if one pen would be ok and she said it'd be fine.

I'm worrying that in three weeks they are going to be in a pen together and as of now I can't have them in the same room for more than a few minutes. The whole situation is ramping up my anxiety levels and I'm trying to keep doing the introductions rather than panic at the yowling and growling when I do introduce them. I said all along that ultimately if they don't get along I will try to rehome little boy but i only want to do that if I have to.

Are there any thoughts on how I can smooth things along? (Apologies this is so long)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat introductions

Post by Mollycat »

Honestly? I would book one of the cats into another cattery if there is no other pen available at your regular one. On what basis is the lady from the cattery saying it will be fine? New Year is 3 weeks away and the cats have not yet been in the same room without friction, putting them under stress with other cats around and nobody there to separate them, in a tiny space, is a recipe for irreparable disaster. Trust your own judgement, you are the one who knows your cats. It will take the time it takes, forcing things cannot come to any good.

Can you describe what you mean by he seems to be deferring to her? What is the body language like? Some behaviours look like sumission but are actually quite aggressive - examples like sitting 'innocently' in strategic places, lying down on their side or rolling in font of the other cat, very deliberately looking away with ears slightly back, turning their back and washing, and sniffing noses so that the other cats backs up.
puddincat1
New Cat Chatter

Post by puddincat1 »

Hi MollyCat - Thankyou for your comment. To be honest - I was surprised when she said they'd be fine because at that point little boy hadn't had his second vaccinations or been neutered and they hadn't even started meeting -I had explained the situation to her and she just said they'd be fine. I did have my doubts but thought it was a couple of months away and I had a lot going on at that time (new cat broken car, various other things). My regular cattery closed last year so this is a new one I found. I'm going to have a ring round this morning and find another pen for one of them. I know it's the right thing to do. It means I'm working on the cats' timetable rather than mine.

Whilst I'm not a new cat owner I'm new to having two and I've been approaching the introductions slowly. People keep telling me just to put them together and let them sort it out but my gut's telling my girl needs to take things slowly. Plus he needs time for his hormones to settle down. Thankfully despite yesterday's little mishap my girl is still coming downstairs for her food (as long as boy is shut away) and boy doesn't seem to have been affected at all. I'll just keep them separated and show them each other through the door till after new year I think and then start again when my house mate is back :)

In terms of the behaviour - the first time I let them be in the same room, the girl cat was on the stairs and little boy approached her slowly all hunched down and careful. She was hissing and he didn't move and kept very low. I took that for deference but whilst I'm not a new cat owner, I'm still learning cat to cat language (if you see what I mean). Since then he's tried to chase her a couple or times. Yesterday he was very low and slow and then leapt at her and chased her down the stairs, so maybe not that deferential :)

Edited to add - I've just contacted the cattery and she said she can put them in separate pens so that's a relief :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

We're always learning, I've had 6 cats over 30 years in singles twos and threes, indoor and outdoor, pedigree and moggy, kitten and adult rescue, confident and feral-timid - and every one has taught me so much more than the last. I was the same as you, always a one at a time home, until a determined neighbour's cat decided that time was over for me, and oh boy are they complicated and amazing!

Sounds to me like your gut instinct is sound or your cat lingo fluent, whichever way you prefer, but for some reason you're a bit short on self confidence about it. Trust what you sense. You know your girl like nobody else on earth knows her. Think I would have read his actions as caution rather than deference on first meeting from what you describe but again you're the one who saw him.

Trouble escalates exponentially, two cats isn't double trouble it's trouble squared :D or as my ex always says, they're worse than kids, and then he does a very funny human speech impression of them - Maaaam, he ate my food! Daaaad, she's in my bed! Who, me? He did it! and so on. But I reckon you nailed it on the head with the cats' timetable rather than yours, or the cattery's.
puddincat1
New Cat Chatter

Post by puddincat1 »

I think you're right about the confidence bit - I'm so worried about a cat fight I can't split up or that they needed to go to the cattery that I've not trusted what I'm seeing but I do know my girly - she used to play through the window with a cat next door. I live on a main road so I have indoor cats and I'd rather take it slow and have cat harmony if I can.

I do wonder if I saw it as deference because that's what I want rather than what is - but thinking about it caution is probably a better word for it. He doesn't seem to lack confidence and he was less wary the second and third times they were together.

Thank you for your kind words though - It's reassuring to know I'm on the right track - especially with all the 'just put them together and let them sort it out' brigade.

:)
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

Glad you've got them sorted for the hols - but you might want to google a review of this place? Hopefully it's just this one person, but such a lackadaisical attitude (and spaces magically appearing) wouldn't fill me with confidence.

If you let your new boy out, would he come back (i.e. have you had him in for the standard 6 weeks)? Dashing about with a bigger territory might help him chill out a bit.

Otherwise, keep up the good work - it'll take a while, but you seem patient.
puddincat1
New Cat Chatter

Post by puddincat1 »

Hello I know what you mean about the cattery - I did google them before I booked it originally and the reviews are all good. Looking back at the booking it was me who said initially that I hoped they might be sharing a pen by december and it was suggested they'd be fine. I think the cattery will be fine but if it's not I just won't go back. I don't have many options right now as its a week before christmas.

I'm not sure what boy would do if I let him out - he's been in since the end of October and he was neutered at the start of December. To be honest I live on a main road and it's not really the best place for letting cats out -I've always played lots with my kitties so that they don't feel like they're missing out too much :)

I've bought a laser pen to play with the cats and the difference in the way they play with it is brill. Boy is all chase chase chase run bounce chase chase (it makes it very easy to get him back into his room) and it's tiring him out. Girly is very much what is that? I'll bat at it a bit and look at it disdainfully but I know its coming from the thing in your hand :)