Post Acute Pancreatitis Problems

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Goobbee
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post Acute Pancreatitis Problems

Post by Goobbee »

Our very handsome 8-year old rescue boy Goobbee had an acute pancreatitis attack this past Monday night. Prior to that he never had a health problem. We got him to the vet near us first thing Tuesday. After blood work, x-rays, ultrasounds they diagnosed acute pancreatitis and placed him on IV fluids/antiobiotics for 3 days. We brought Goobbee home yesterday. He is twice his size from the fluids and is very uncomfortable walking with all that extra weight. We have weeks worth of pills which he hates.
But the problem now is that he will not eat at all. He is in a dazed state and does not seem to recognize his surroundings yet. He has brief moments where his eyes open wide and he runs around but then he goes back to his stooper. We know it is important for cats to eat as they can get liver problems after a few days. Any suggestions for our Goobbee will be greatly appreciated. It is not so much that he is not hungry but he does not seem to recognize his favorite foods. He's had 2 good pees in the past 24 hours since coming home. Thank you for your help.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Post Acute Pancreatitis Problems

Post by booktigger »

Have you tried hand feeding him? If he hasn't eaten by tomorrow I'd take him back, he may need some help
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree, I think he needs to be back with the vet. If he deteriorates tonight take him in tomorrow. He should have started to pick up by now, and what you describe doesn’t sound good to me.
Goobbee
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Goobbee »

Thank you both. We spoke with the vet today and she does not want to give Goobbee a diuretic as it could dehydrate him. He got so sick Monday night. We love him so. Thanks for your advice He is perking up a little for a few minutes each time and then sleeps. But his weight went up 30% with the IV fluids so maybe if he pees more tonight he will feel better. He was so vibrant and active last Monday.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I would try one of the special recovery diet foods - your vet should have it. Highly palatable and can be syringed into his mouth if necessary. He is probably still too uncomfortable to want to eat, but may lick a little if you once get him started. Even Lik e lix would be better than nothing.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm glad you have spoken to the vet, but surprised she only mentioned a diuretic, I'd have thought maybe an appetite stimulant or offering something like a/d and maybe a syringe to get him eating.
Goobbee
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Goobbee »

Thanks so much everyone. What is a/d ?? We did give Goobbee an appetite stimulant from the vet yesterday and he has started eating a little bit on his own - mostly Temptations which I know is not good for him. We also have a critical care wet cat food from the vet by Royal Canin and we give him that on our fingers. He is much perkier this morning. But he has to get his antibiotic pills twice a day and that upsets him. His is still bloated from all the IV fluid and we just weighed him at 16 lbs whereas his normal weight is 12 lbs. He has had a few good pees but no poops. I am sure his body weight is down a lot after a week of not eating so the fluid weight must be much greater. The vet would not give him a diuretic as she said it could dehydrate him. So we are praying he will recover and then will have to learn about managing pancreatitis, The u/s showed some fluid in his abdomen and that was tested and we will get the results tomorrow. We pray there is no bacteria or cancer. We love him so.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

My Tilly having had several bouts of Pancreatitis, I can sympathize with your worries. I am a bit surprised your vet let Goobbee home before she was eating properly. When my Tilly had her last bout of Pancreatitis a year and a half ago, she was kept in until she was eating (she had to be fed via tube at one stage). Since she has been home, we have not had to adjust her diet. Main effort is to keep her well groomed to minimize fur balls (which seem to trigger the condition) and no milk.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Just to answer one thing, a/d is the Hills version of convalescence food.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Two of my cats have had pancreatitis (at different times), and the vet wanted to see them back in the surgery two days after to check up on them.

Did the vets ask you to come back?
Goobbee
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Goobbee »

Thank you all very much. It is one week since Goobbee had his acute attack and 4 days since he came home. He is doing somewhat better. He has spurts of his former energy and runs around and has fun. But after 5 minutes he gets very tired and sleeps a long time. He pees a lot and has reduced his very inflated size from the IV fluids a lot but he is still very full of fluid.
He will only eat Temptations on his own but we feed him Recovery RS by Royal Canin by hand and he like it. In the morning he will eat some of his hard kibbles but then he seems to get a tummy ache and shuts down.
One problem we have is that he has yet to have a poop. Also he has yet to drink water on his own though that may be the IV fluid still in his system.
He is still on anti-biotics and anti-inflammatory pills which we shove down his throat ok.
Does this seem like a normal recovery from acute pancreatitis? I guess his pancreas and colon are very inflamed. He sleeps well though at night with us. We are so worried and want him to recover soon to his former Goobbee self.
I should add we live on a farm in rural Ontario Canada. We have rescued 14 stray cats on our property over the past 8 years and placed them in good homes, except for Goobbe, Gabbee (our calico girl) and Tiggee ( our orange tabbee). Goobbee is our alpha male tuxedo boy. Thanks for your help.