Help - garlic marinade

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Thedesertrocker
New Cat Chatter

Help - garlic marinade

Post by Thedesertrocker »

Hi.

I gave my cats 4 small bits of chicken that where cooked in a garlic marinade.

The bits of chicken where roughly about the size of a thumb nail and very thin.

Should i be worried cause I'm freaking out as I just learned garlic is highly toxic
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help - garlic marinade

Post by fjm »

How much garlic was there in the marinade? If she has eaten the equivalent of a clove or so I would check with your vet, but I doubt the amount on such tiny pieces of chicken will do any harm.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Have you phoned your vet's out of hours number? They will tend on the side of caution but they will be able to ask you the right questions and give you the right signs to look for if the cats need to come in, which breeds are more suspectible, they will also have the cats' weight and so on. Symptoms of allium poisoning can take days to show so professional advice would be a good idea earlier rather than later.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I had a cat who loved garlic mushrooms (in the days before social media spread the health alerts). She was fine, but keep an eye on her and do check with your vet.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

lilynmitz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:02 pm I had a cat who loved garlic mushrooms (in the days before social media spread the health alerts). She was fine, but keep an eye on her and do check with your vet.
I'm sure many of us are nodding with a slight roll of the eyes remembering cats and dogs who delighted in treats or thefts that would now generate panic. My boyfriend's cat loved chocolate Minstrels. One of mine demolished cooked chicken bones and picked the raisins out of fruitcake. Our dog loves coffee and demands a small cup twice a day. Molly loves yoghurt, cheese and ice cream - to the vet's horror as she struggled with intermittent diarrhoea for nearly a year but I tested carefully and withdrawing these treats made no difference and she eventually got better even with them.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh yes, my garlic loving puss also like sultana cake. She couldn’t read the health warnings. I used to have to practically fight her for the crime caramel pudding! I never ate a meal alone when this dear girl lived with me
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Oohhhh you're such an irresponsible owner ......... didn't you read the labels out loud to her for goodness' sake! :lol:
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

:lol: she’s a cat! Human rules don't apply in her world :lol: