Neutered male still showing interest?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Neutered male still showing interest?

Post by exlibris »

Our 8 month old kitten, Winston, is posing a bit of a problem as he 'appears' to be attempting to be trying to hump Whisper (same age, also neutered). Both were neutered 13 weeks ago just before he reached his sexual maturity.
What I've read online is contradictory and confusing. I know we'll get no kittens, but I really hope that nothing is actually happening.
Can anyone give me some advice? Is this some instinctive action which doesn't involve anything sexual? Or does Winston have some residual testosterone zipping around that will be causing havoc for a while? Will he grow out of it?
I'm assuming she won't be interested as she won't be going on heat?

He's such a lovely thing when he's not causing me all this stress!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Neutered male still showing interest?

Post by Lilith »

Oh the saucy boy! :o :lol:

I've had several males (and females) - all neutered, who've humped other cats, my hair and clothes, and I've come to the conclusion that it's a dominance thing, although they've sometimes been aroused by females in heat; one of my neutered Siamese girls spent some time astride a calling queen and a young ginger tom (neutered) had a merry time chewing the neck of a calling girl of similar age (not yet neutered; they did girls later in those days) but as he didn't have the instruction manual, that was as far as he got. The most spectacular episode was between my first Siamese and an older neutered three-quarter Siamese boy ... she was an early caller, starting at five months when I couldn't have her mated till she was ten! And he penetrated her; he knew exactly what to do. Pacified her though.

My present cat Molly went through a stage of going into trances over used clothing left about, kneading and humping, but she seems to have grown out of that now ... I think it seems to be younger cat behaviour. Though when I was married all my neutered males used to find my husband's sweaty squash gear delightful - better than catnip! The kit went into the wash after only one wearing, but there was nearly always a tail sticking out of the laundry basket.

They are peculiar, aren't they, but I don't think it's anything to worry about - more like teenage boys' wet dreams, only, being cats, it's unselfconscious and public. I think you're right about the residual testosterone and as long as Whisper doesn't mind ... I expect that if she does, she'll belt him one ... :lol:
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

No personal experience here as both my boys have been late neutered, the retired stud without a trace of hormones two months after neutering. The other who was 3 years old continued just one peculiar behaviour for months afterwards - when he was getting stroked and padding on the bed his rump would twitch under him quite a bit. At first it looked as if he needed a poo but then we realised it was a residual sexual thing, presumably brought on by pleasure sensations.

But it might be wise to keep an eye on your boy as apparently urinary infections can trigger humping behaviours too.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

I hope she does protect her chastity! I've not had 'a humper' before and he looks so innocent when he's curled up in a ball! Finger's crossed he doesn't find the instructions. Hopefully he'll calm down when the weather improves and I can let him out (he's so dozy I can't trust him not to get shut out in freezing temperatures).

Winston! You are a trouble causer! Sigh.