Trying to find a queen for my 18 mo Persian male

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Alex2019
New Cat Chatter

Trying to find a queen for my 18 mo Persian male

Post by Alex2019 »

I am from Long Island NY
I have a beautiful 18 mo old Persian whole male
He has been showing mating behaviors for 8 mo
I am NOT looking for money or any business mit interested
In starting a catery just make him comfortable and happy
Try to avoid neutering he is indoor only
Don’t know any cateries with queens or private owners with queens
My vet doesn’t either
Any info appreciated
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Trying to find a queen for my 18 mo Persian male

Post by booktigger »

Can I ask why you want to avoid neutering? Not only will he be a happier cat without the raging hormones, but there are health risks associated with being unneutured.
Alex2019
New Cat Chatter

Post by Alex2019 »

I don’t want to neuter him because I had a Himalayan who developed recurrent cystitis after and suffered a lot
Also Kaiser is a very sweet cat and lives with other 2 cats in a big house the other 2 cats are bigger size and more rough players although they were fixed I am afraid he will end up with recurrent urinary infections and being bullied if I fix him
So like a said I would appreciate some info regarding connecting with queen owners if anybody has any suggestions
Thank you
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I would suggest you get your boy neutered. It's not neutering that causes recurrent urinary infections.

An unneutered tom "showing mating behaviours" isn't going to calm down once he has had one go, you would have to keep going for the rest of his life. This is a cat rescue forum, not really the best place to advertise for breeding more unwanted kittens to add to the thousands already living in cages waiting for a home that for many will never materialise. Just a life of misery for dozens more cats, in the mistaken belief that you are saving your one cat from a risk that has very little to do with neutering.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I think you will find most of us here believe that neutering is the best option unless you want to register him as an active stud.

I can understand your reluctance after what happened to your Himalayan, but while you are trying to protect him from one condition you are putting him at risk of developing something far more serious, not to mention the mental and emotional torment he will go through every time he gets the urge to mate, which will be pretty much constant. If the other cats are larger than him, it is possibly because they have been neutered, most neutered male cats are larger than unneutered ones, at 18 months there is a good chance he will grow more in the next couple of years if neutered which will hopefully mean he is closer to the same size as them. In addition to all the health and size benefits you will also probably prevent a lot of territorial behaviour, even if he doesn't fight, he will likely be tempted to mark out his territory, spraying, urinating and defecating around the house to let try and convince the other cats that the area is his. So please talk to your vet, they are the best qualified to tell you all about the problems and conditions that an unneutered male cat is prone to.

Having finished that lecture, i will also add that a lot of the people on the Forum are from the UK and probably can be of little help in putting you in touch with potential Queens in the States.

Whether you decide to neuter or not I would suggest working on building his confidence and making sure that there are plenty of places he can call his own, with plenty of escape routes so he doesn''t become trapped by the other two, this will hopefully cut down on any bullying behaviour from them.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

While you are concerned he will be bullied if you have him neutered, you are more likely to have issues by leaving him unneutered, as there will be territorial issues (not to mention the house will be nicer without unneutered tom cat smell), which will be worse as they are all indoor only.