Aggressive cat - should I rehome - please help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
catlady2019
New Cat Chatter

Aggressive cat - should I rehome - please help

Post by catlady2019 »

Hi there,

I am really on here to ask for some advice. My cat who I love so so so so much has become increasingly aggressive over the past year and I don't really know what to do. I cannot have anyone over to my flat any more as he viciously attacks any guests if I go out of view. I also can no longer go away as any cat sitter gets scratched and bitten very badly, he becomes extremely dangerous. He is ok with me, but not all the time. He frequently (about every other night) attacks me in my sleep by scratching my face or attacking my arms. It isn't the usual chasing of feet under the duvet. He also some times launches himself at me for no reason, often becoming so violent I have to shut myself away in the bathroom.

I have had him for about 3 years, he is a rescue cat, he is neutered. I keep him fed, watered and entertained. I don't neglect him or leave him for long periods of time and I treat him well, he is my best friend and I love him so much, when he isn't attacking me/all my friends and family he is the loveliest thing, we have lots of cuddles and he's by my side. I can't bare the idea that I have failed, but I also don't think I can keep living my life like this, in fear of him, not being able to have any friends/family over, or go on holiday etc.

Am I wrong to rehome him?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Aggressive cat - should I rehome - please help

Post by fjm »

The very first thing I would do is get him thoroughly checked out by your vet - thyroid issues in particular can cause behaviour changes, but so can many other conditions. If the vet finds nothing I would consult with a qualified cat behaviourist, if you can afford it. If there is still no solution I would think long and hard. If he is as aggressive as you say it is difficult to think of a home that could accommodate him safely, and you may have some very tough decisions to make, which is why I think you need the advice of professionals to help you.

In the meantime I would shut him out of your bedroom at night - if he scratches carpets shut him in the kitchen or bathroom with food, water, tray and a comfy bed. Start to reclaim your life - we may love our cats dearly and joke that we are simply their human slaves, but this behaviour is way beyond acceptable. Withdraw immediately as soon as he starts, and don't give him any attention until he is polite.