Cat FIP

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Georgina886
New Cat Chatter

Cat FIP

Post by Georgina886 »

My kitty was diagnosed 8 weeks ago with wet FIP
I am waiting on the final result from Glasgow but having read this she should have gone downhill by now
Her red blood cells dropped from 16 to now 10
She’s still eating drinking walking fine but sleeping a lot but she’s slept a lot since she is anemic
I don’t want to put her to sleep but also don’t want her to be in pain but she’s still doing all things normal and the fact she’s still here 8 weeks later is a miracle
I need any advice people feel I need to know
This little kitty helped me through my anxiety so means more to me than anything
I had a kitty from the same parents before her but she sadly escaped young we looked and looked to only find her eaten by a fox having got stuck in a neighbours chicken wire fence
So to now face losing this one after the last is even more heartbreaking for us 😥
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat FIP

Post by lilynmitz »

I’m so sorry to hear about your girl’s diagnosis. I don’t have any experience of this distressing condition, and can only suggest you take your vets guidance on treatment, even if it's just palliative care. Do speak to your vet, they will have seen how this condition progresses and may be able to offer some advice.

I’m really sorry to hear about your previous puss too, that must have been devastating.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat FIP

Post by Kay »

I lost a 3 month old to FIP, but my understanding then was that a definitive diagnosis was only possible at a post mortem, so unless that has changed, I suppose it's always possible something else is going on

FIP affected just about every organ with my poor lad, and although he picked up following a blood transfusion, it was only temporary - I don't think he was ever actually in pain though, just totally without energy and unable to put any weight on despite still eating quite well