cat spooked by fight - suggestions sought

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catshome
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

cat spooked by fight - suggestions sought

Post by Catshome »

Hi I'm new to here and hope you can help. I think from looking at posts this is the kind of thing some of you might know about.

I have three cats, two are m/f siblings and get on, the oldest female unrelated tolerates the others at the most. Up to last week all were going into the garden. There were a few hissy fits but nothing serious. Then last week one of the younger cats, male, spooked the older cat and there was a bit of a fight, rolling round and noise, and the male cat chased her back inside. Since then she doesn't want to go in the garden even if the others are not there. I have carried her out and she just goes back in straightaway. She is eating and using litter tray fine, just very innactive now she is not going out. She is 15. I feel sorry for her and want to help get things back how they were. Have started giving her zyklene and sprayed feliway around. Haven't got diffuser at moment, have ordered online. Could take her out, close the door and leave her out there (the garden is safe) but she would be at the door asking to come back straight away I think and could cause her stress. Any ideas for getting her back on track welcome. The other cat is not aggressive it was a sort of misunderstanding. Feel her quality of life is suffering as although she just sat out she liked going out. Thanks.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: cat spooked by fight - suggestions sought

Post by KittyWitty »

how are the cats acting together? if they are fine i'd be inclined to just leave her to it until she gains a bit of her lost confidence
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

Hi there, welcome to CC firstly :)

I think you've done everything right - just give her some time now. It might take a little while for her to get her confidence back but if you force it she won't understand why.

I had something similar a little while ago with one of mine - Bagheera - she became irrationally scared of the bedroom because one of the other cats bumped into her when she was investigating something she thought was strange. That little 'jump' left her scared for weeks but with some gentle and slow encouragement she got over it. She's now fast asleep on the floor in there where before you would have thought the floor was lava!!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others - just give her some time. She's lost a bit of confidence, but will gain it back with a bit of patience and encouragement. As has been said, if you push her out you'll just make her even more worried about 'outside'.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hi Catshome, welcome to CC.

Can't add more than the others have except yes, give her time. Cats can't be rushed in anything, however much we want things to happen faster! You have the right idea already. Just be patient and calm with her and build her trust with you on her side.
Catshome
New Cat Chatter

Post by Catshome »

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I had hoped I was doing the right thing by not forcing it but trying a softly softly approach. We might be getting there. This morning, Elvi was asking to go out as soon as I came downstairs, even though Hercules was right behind her at the back door. She rushed out to go to the loo, even though she could have used her litter tray indoors, so I think that's a good sign. She came back inside straight away but as far as I'm concerned it's progress as it's the first time she's been outside to have a loo for about a week.She also seems more assertive today and has Hercules slightly on the back foot. Hercules' sister, Pandora, stays out of it all.

Thanks for your help. I will update when there's more to report. I shall try to work out how to put pics on here. It seems a great forum and I'd like to stay around.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Glad she seems to be settling down again. :)

Pics would be lovely!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

That sounds like good progress. Would love to see pics. I have three gorgeous furbabes too - 1 boy and 2 girls, all unrelated and frequently attempting to challenge the pecking order between them!
Catshome
New Cat Chatter

Post by Catshome »

Hello again

Just to say that things seem to have settled back to the status quo and Elvi is going out again regularly and stayed out for quite a while today. Thanks for your encouragement that I was doing the right thing. This is Elvi, my white girl.
Attachments
images (1).jpg
images (1).jpg (10.44 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

She's lovely! :)

Glad things are settling down again.