High Temperatures

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
carter207
New Cat Chatter

High Temperatures

Post by carter207 »

I have a chinchilla cross cat Carter, who has had strange very high temps since he was a kitten. It was discovered when he was to be neutered but was sent home with antibiotics and an assumed infection of some description. The neuter was done 4 weeks later but the vet told me his temp was still borderline. My cat had quite a bad reaction to the anaesthetic but otherwise seemed to be OK . Fast forward about a year and he started growling at nothing and acting very strange so I took him to my vet and he said his temp was sky high! He even got another vet to check with a new thermometer as my vet couldnt believe a cat could have a temp that high and still seem fairly normal. The possibility of feline aids was mentioned but as the tests are very expensive and there was nothing the vet could do to actually help my cat I decided to just leave things ans hope for the best. Carter currently has yet another high temp and I always know as he becomes lethargic and stays very close to me. He is 6 years old now and has only had one very worrying episode last August when he was quite sick and I had to syringe fluids into him for 3 days till he came right. Hes a normal active tree climbing cat otherwise but does shed and shed and shed fur constantly and his coat looks ruffled. If anyone has experienced this could they please share with me.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: High Temperatures

Post by booktigger »

I'd certainly be looking for answers - not sure where you live, but the FIV test is just a simple blood test and shouldn't be that expensive. I wonder if he is a Corona carrier, which again can be checked with a blood test, but would have to be done while he has a temperature, as it can lie dormant