Adoption Documents and (Not) Dustless Litter

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mozart
New Cat Chatter

Adoption Documents and (Not) Dustless Litter

Post by Mozart »

We adopted a kitten from a county animal shelter. The kitten adoption paper said "SHE" had been neutered and did not mention any health problems.

The first day at home the new kitten started sneezing. The chronic sneezing was 5-6-7 times in a row and she expelled a lot mucus everywhere.

Off to the neighborhood vet to diagnose HER chronic sneezing problem. The Vet said "SHE" was a "HE" and was positive for FIV. The Vet contributed the sneezing to FIV and we and the kitten/cat would have to live with the problem.

The County Shelter Adoption document did get the specie correct, a domestic feline! But the Adoption document failed to mention the kitten was positive for FIV (do they test felines up for adoption?). The Vet neutered a male and the Shelter Adoption Record says it is a female. So much for Crossing the Tees and Dotting the I's! :roll:

Back to sneezing.
A few months after the adoption we switched to a corn base litter. After a couple of days later it dawned on me the kitten had stopped sneezing.

I spent a few hours googling cat litter, clumping, clay, silica, EPA, etc. Conclusion! FIV was not the cause of the sneezing. The cause, the "DUSTLESS" CAT LITTER "WAS NOT"!

We began using a very fine nylon mesh to filter out the clay dust in the Dustless Cat Litter. The result! The kitten immediately stopped sneezing and marking the house with mucus.

If you think your cat litter is Dustless as some claim, try this test outdoors. Take a large scoop of clean fresh Dustless Litter slowly pore the litter 3-4 feet above and into a catch container. If you see a Dust Cloud when you pore the litter, the Dustless Litter IS NOT. The clay dust you see is probably silica. Silica is harmful to humans lungs. The EPA mandates protective measures when there is exposure to silica. If silica dust is harmful to we humans, it is harmful to our much loved feline friends!