Cat just been neutered, lump now found?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Doomkitty
New Cat Chatter

Cat just been neutered, lump now found?

Post by Doomkitty »

Hi,

We have got a cat from a family member in the last few weeks. He is 4 years old, not neutered, jabs unknown and goes outside (yeah.. I know.) We have just got him neutered at a reputable vets, and he has been given a lotion for ear mites. His check up appointment is this Friday (he's having all his jabs then too)

My worry: I was petting him before and thought I felt a hard lump in his belly, I checked again this afternoon and couldn't feel anything. I have just stroked him again to see if I could feel it again and it was there, I explored the area gently and he got angry with me and batted at my hand. Is it common for something like this to be found after a neutering or an operation?

I'm very worried and also googling for answers, but would appreciate any answers I can get here too. (I will phone the vet first thing in the morning of course.)
catsue
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat just been neutered, lump now found?

Post by catsue »

It's not usual for a lump to develop after a straightforward neutering operation so it would probably be best to get the vet to check it. So long as your cat seems okay, does not seem to be in any pain and is eating okay it should be okay to leave it until Friday, but if you are concerned you could give the surgery a ring and see if they think they should see him earlier. Is it in the middle of his stomach, where you would imagine the belly button to be? If it is, it could be an umbilical hernia. If it is a hernia it might mean a little operation to repair it or the vet may decide its only small and does not need repairing. Let us know how you get on.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

hm, really not sure. I agree with Catsue that it may well be an umbilical hernia. See what the vet has to say when you call them this morning.

Good luck and please do let us know how you get on
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Our Purdy had a lump that was found quite early on and that was a hernia, but it never bothered him, and was just left. Always worth a visit to the vet though.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Definitely worth getting it checked out. I had one a few years ago. They don't hurt, but the consultant said they can get worse and there is a risk of strangulation if they are bad. I had mesh put in. Not sure what they do for cats.

I remember when I was little, one of my friends had a puppy with a hernia and the vet told them to press it in whenever they could and it might heal (it was many moons ago! :lol: )