Diversionary Tactics - Back of the neck drops

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Minnies_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Diversionary Tactics - Back of the neck drops

Post by Minnies_Mum »

Oh wise Catchatters

Advice required. Minnie's back of the neck drops are due soon. She behaves like it's boiling acid being put on and she has a calendar, because every month her behaviour changes.... stops sleeping on the bed, etc. I have to snap the little thing out of the blister pack a couple days before I want to put it on. If she hears it, she runs.

When I want to put it on, I have to take the tube into the bathroom or kitchen to pierce the top. And when I come back, there's a cat shaped dent on the bed/sofa/pile of washing.

She neeeeeeds them because she gets ear mites and tears herself to bits otherwise. The eardrops were not a success either.

So, how do people sneak up on their kitties to put the drops on?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Diversionary Tactics - Back of the neck drops

Post by Kay »

when Tosker had awful earmites, and was sleeping in the house, but wouldn't let me anywhere near him, I applied Advocate to the back of his neck while he was asleep, without making any attempt to touch him or part the fur, and it didn't wake him

and the ear mites went
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

How do they do that - Radar? I thought I had problems! Only Bobby makes no fuss about drops - he even takes his medicine.
Thomas jumps and Purdy and Grace chatter and growl. But if I am quick and firm about it it's OK.
But Willow is another story. She gets ear mites as well.
I'm afraid the only way we can dose Willow is for one of us to throw a towel over her and wrap her like a mummy and the other to apply drops. Then we stand well back.
I know it sounds awful but Willow has eyes in the back of her head. Any approach and she does her impersonation of Taz and whirls out of the door - leaving me squirting drops into fresh air.
A bit drastic I know but it is the only thing that works with her. Good Luck!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Our cats can be right nightmares. The towel approach may be the easiest option. How about when she is asleep, can that help? That way she will be tad dozy. When we had to apply eye drops to our Shelly, we would always wake her just before so she is sleepy andshe never fought much.