Counter, Table and Stove Surfing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Meesha2835
New Cat Chatter

Counter, Table and Stove Surfing

Post by Meesha2835 »

Hi There,

I adopted a kitten a couple of months ago. He is now approx. 6 months old and was recently neutered. He is the sweetest thing BUT I cannot get him to stay off of the counter, table or stove. It is so hard to cook, wash dishes, eat a meal, prepare a meal because it is a CONSTANT battle. I take him off, he jumps back on, I take him off, he jumps back on......we could do it for hours and he just keeps jumping back up. UGH! I have never experienced this with any other cats that I have owned. People say "Lock him in a room when you are in the kitchen.", but I don't want to avoid the problem, I want him to learn. I have been consistent with him, and he has been consistent with me by just jumping back up. I broke down last week and tried with a spray bottle out of desperation and it didn't bother him at all. I tried putting coins in a jar and shaking it, and again he didn't care. I am at a loss! Can anyone offer some advice. It is very frustrating especially when I have guests over.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Counter, Table and Stove Surfing

Post by lilynmitz »

I was going to suggest the water bottle, but it seems that hasn’t worked. I would persevere with that for a while if I were you, he may just get fed up with it eventually. With our lot we only have to shake the bottle now and they stop.

Some cats are just more curious and interactive than others, and it sounds like your lad is top of his class! Try wearing him out with toys etc, or feed him just before you start cooking, so that he is more inclined to rest than join in while you’re cooking.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

It might sound counter intuitive, but could you give him a place in the kitchen at worktop height where he could go and watch what you are doing. Some cats do like to be high up and able to see what is going on. If you can give him a small cat tree or high stool to sit on give him lots of treats and fuss when he is in it and just a simple no when he goes on the counter, stove etc, and then move him to his own place, if he stays for a minute or two give him a treat, then gradually make him stay longer until he gets his treat, right up to the point when you give him his treat when you have finished what you are doing.

I will add that this is something I have heard of, but not tried, my kitchen is too small for it to work and my lad doesn't really counter surf, he just wants to see if there is any food he can pinch that is better than what is in his bowls. I've learn the art of cooking while watching over one shoulder to see what he is up to.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I trained mine by shouting very loudly in their faces DOWN and pointing to the floor, and followed up with a safe but not gentle push down if the shouting didn't work - it didn't take long before there was a hasty scrabble to get down as soon as I appoached
VanessaVC
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by VanessaVC »

Hi Meesha
I have just been searching for help with my 5 month old kitten who sounds like yours when it comes to the kitchen counter. A constant battle of up down up down and all the usual tricks like tin foil, jars of coins, clapping and shouting No and even water spray just not working. To him it's just a super fun game, I swear the more frustrated I get the more he loves it!!!
There is no food there... he's just exploring, sniffing around, meowing and trying to be part of the action I guess.
He is also not at all food oriented so I can't train him or reward him with treats, he's not bothered. The best I can do is throw something like a scrunched up piece of paper on the floor and he'll jump down to check it out, but it's not long before he's up again.
As you posted your cry for help a while ago now, I wonder if you ever solved the problem?!
Thanks
Vanessa