Cat with hyperthyroidism

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat with hyperthyroidism

Post by fjm »

I had insurance for all of mine - until it hit £1,000 a year for the four of them, and was obviously going to go up exponentially every year thereafter! The premiums for the cats doubled the year they turned 8... Insurance is a good idea in the early years, when the premiums are low, animals tend to be accident prone, and congenital issues may still emerge, but I would use those inexpensive years to build up a solid savings account, and once they are 4 or 5 years old put the money you would spend on premiums into that.
Magda
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Magda »

I suppose you never know with the insurance. You may spent years paying and never needing it.. I didn't take it because the cat was already an adult when he moved in ( he literally forced his way in after his owner died , which I discovered later), I didn't know his age. Also before I managed to make any decision he got ill with stones in his bladder and I ended up paying about £700 at the time. It seemed like the insurance would have been an expensive option after that.
But this is not my main concern at the moment. I need to either order more Vidalta for him or change the meds and I still can't decide what to do. He has been on second attempt of Vidalta last 7 days, threw up twice despite taking anti sickness liquid. I ran out of that liquid 2 days ago and expected it to get worse. But he seems ok suddenly and it's confusing me..
Magda
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Magda »

3 months passed and I thought I would post a little update. I am actually shocked that Arthur is now perfectly fine taking Vidalta every day. No vomiting, no other symptoms. I did not expect that after the horrible reaction he had at the begining and I thought my vet was crazy trying to continue with it. But it worked! I know it doesn't solve the problem for good but I am tempted to continue with tablets for a while.. he is so happy and relaxed and giving him a tablet wrapped in cheese is very easy. And his blood results are good.