Lump on neck

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Lump on neck

Post by mr_frisky »

One of my cats had her annual vaccinations on the 5th and I noticed a lump under her fur around the vaccination site on sunday. I posted on another thread.

I was worried about fibrosarcomas, and have spent a torrid week since I took her to the vets on tuesday morning, convinced it was cancer. She was hospitalised for three days with jaundice and pancreatitis in september.

The vet took a biopsy from four separate parts of the lump and has just phoned saying there's no sign of cancer and all indications are that it's a vaccination reaction, and to bring her back if it hasn't gone within a month or so.

Anyone have any idea how long they usually last? From the link below is says three months but that seems a long time.

The lump is about the size of a small grape.

https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/defau ... id=4951408

Lumps commonly form in the weeks following vaccination due to the immune stimulation and inflammation centered on this area. These lumps are usually normal and do not represent fibrosarcomas (which generally take years to develop, not weeks). If your cat develops one of these lumps under the skin (they are generally noticed by owners 3-4 weeks after vaccination), the lump may be left alone to resolve naturally. If the lump is still there three months from the time of vaccination, it should be removed and biopsied. Any lumps greater than 2 cm in diameter (approximately one inch) should be removed no matter how long a time has past since vaccination. Also, any lump should be removed if it is felt to be getting larger rather than smaller one month after its discovery. (3-2-1 refers to three months post vaccine, two cm in size, and growing bigger after one month.)
Lu
New Cat Chatter

Re: Lump on neck

Post by Lu »

My kitty has this too, although we just discovered the lump today ( a week after her vaccinations) so I'm taking her in tomorrow.

Im not sure how long they're meant to last for but it sure is worrying!!

Has your kitty still got the lump? Did it go down?
Felis-Felidae
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Lump on neck

Post by Felis-Felidae »

Going through this too, although mine has now been there for about 3 months! Is your kitty's lump visible? Would it be possible to see a photo of it, perhaps?