New cat owner. Need help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Laren2020
New Cat Chatter

New cat owner. Need help

Post by Laren2020 »

I recently adopted an 8 month old cat from a shelter and I need help. At first we hiding and very nervous about everything but then she started to open up by playing, eating, using the restroom, and coming to sit next to me. Yesterday nigh I decided to leave her out at nigh since she was doing really well. She woke me up out of my sleep and knocked all the things that were in my dresser and was hanging on to my clothes in my closest. When I tried to get her down and out her back in her cage (which she doesn’t have a problem staying in) she attacked me. Yesterday, she hid for a while and then came out and played with me. But today she is walking close to the ground and hissing at me. And I don’t know what to do. Please help!!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New cat owner. Need help

Post by Mollycat »

Cats do not like being shut in a cage and they certainly don't like it after getting a taste of freedom!

Could you maybe meet her half-way, give her the freedom of the house but close your bedroom door? An 8 month old kitten will want to play at all hours of the night and this could go on for a long time.
Laren2020
New Cat Chatter

Post by Laren2020 »

I do but she’s hides and doesn’t come out
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I think you need to make a few decisions about where she can and can't go and then stick to the rules. My suggestions would also be to shut the bedroom door and let her have access to the rest of the house permanently. I wonder if she is starting to feel a little confused, she had a routine and then was given freedom to wander and explore, and when she did she got into trouble. She is unsure of what she can and can't do so her instinct is to hide away. Close the door of any room you don't want her in and then let her explore at her own pace day and night. Don't keep constantly going to her while she is hiding, leave her alone so she knows that that is a safe place. When you can try and tempt her out with interactive toys, the wand and string style toy are great for this and have a few treats to hand for if she does come close. i'm sure in a few days when she is used to her new routine she will be happy to be out and with you again.