Kittens fighting

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Quarinteen
New Cat Chatter

Kittens fighting

Post by Quarinteen »

Hello my name is Scott. I have 2 new kittens from different litters. When I first got them one was always hissing and scratching at the other. It’s a few days later now the smaller of the two who was not hissing and was timid before now is playing with the one that was hissing but they play too hard. Both are screaming and they are hurting each other. I understand kittens play rough and this helps them know how hard to play but both of them are just going at each other. I let them at first since they both were doing it to each other but I really think it’s too hard. I’ve separated them for the moment. Any advise would be appreciated.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Kittens fighting

Post by exlibris »

Try engaging in play with them at the same time, so you are the focus of the 'rough' play, not each other, but they are having a positive experience together. By this I mean get either a rod toy or simply a long bit of string for them to chase and pounce on - it will get soak up a lot of their kitten energy and help if they're getting bored if they're currently being kept indoors.
When they're old enough to be neutered you normally find it takes the edge of aggressive behaviour. So things should get better, but if you want them to have a good relationship as early as possible.
Quarinteen
New Cat Chatter

Post by Quarinteen »

So I tried your suggestion and they still are hurting each other. Any other thoughts?
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

Bit more info please. How old are they now? I'm assuming not neutered yet? What genders? Are you planning on having them as indoor or outdoor cats?