Constipation

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Momofasher
New Cat Chatter

Constipation

Post by Momofasher »

My cat had been just grazing on his food for over a week and then hardly drinking water. Then started not pooping for almost 3 days. So I took him to vet this Friday and they said he was constipated so the game him an enema and then sent home some laxatives stuff and it's now Sunday and he has only pooped 1 once how long does it take to get back to normal.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Constipation

Post by papa cat »

If he has had an enema it should have left virtually nothing in his large bowel (and you saw what was left come out on Sunday). If he is not passing normally in about 48 hours from the last poop contact the vet again, but until then I wouldn't worry too much.

However that does not address the question as to why the constipation happened.
Have you been feeding him anything different ?
You say he has not been drinking much. That could be a cause and for that there is an easy remedy, add 1 teaspoon (5ml) of water to his wet food every time you feed him.
If you are only giving him dry food try changing to a mix of part dry and part wet.

He could have gone off the food you have been giving him (cats are like that !!!) and it kind of follows that a cat that is not eating might not feel the need to drink
Cats in a wild/feral situation get almost all their fluids from the things they eat. Domestic cats have to learn to drink from a bowl or similar, most learn it OK
Some cats prefer running water, buy a cat water fountain it may encourage him to drink more. They are not very expensive, I have just recently bought one from Amazon for £15.99 (about $20.00) (But put down a bowl of water as well, because if there is a power outage the cat may get no water)
A lot of cats don't like water from the tap (faucet) because it contains chlorine to purify it (which is a kind of very mild bleach) . Imagine if your coffee tasted of bleach, would you like to drink it ?? !!
I always give my cats filtered or bottled water