Question about taurine and Instinct cat food

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mptpeace
New Cat Chatter

Question about taurine and Instinct cat food

Post by mptpeace »

So I’m adopting a cat soon and have been doing a lot of research on cat food. I came to the conclusion that I would feed my new friend Instinct by Nature’s Variety wet cat food because I read great things about that brand.

I didn’t see any taurine in the ingredients or guaranteed analysis. Isn’t taurine essential for cat health? Am I missing something? Is it called a different name that I didn’t recognize when reading the ingredients?

Can someone with more cat experience share their thoughts on taurine and Instinct cat food, I will be a first time cat owner so I’m a little bit of a noob when it comes to this. Thanks!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Question about taurine and Instinct cat food

Post by fjm »

Taurine occurs naturally in muscle meat - the more the muscle is used, the higher the taurine levels, which is why heart is a particularly good source. Cooking and processing can reduce the levels, but a wet food made mainly from fresh meat should have more than adequate amounts of taurine without the need to add more as a supplement. If in doubt I would contact the company and ask them for the results of their foods' analyses - taurine is not one of the things they are required to show under regulations, but they may still have the information available.