Teeth Ckeaning

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Teeth Ckeaning

Post by Jan »

Having been consistently told by our usual vet that Blackie's teeth are ok, I was shocked when the locum vet this morning pulled Blackie's top lip right back to show me how bad his gums lookede and also that he had a mouth ulcer. Our normal vet has been telling me all along that his teeth are fine. They didn't look it to me!

I am going to speak to our usual vet on Monday about the pros and cons of giving Blackie's teeth a good clean but obviously am very worried about putting a 17 year old cat under anesthetic, I Would appreciate an opinion from anyone here who has put an older cat through this procedure The locum vet did tell me that Blackie has a strong heart I will be speaking to our usual vet on Monday but what others think would help a lot. Cleaning Blackie's teeth ourselves would turn him into the cat from hell!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Teeth Ckeaning

Post by booktigger »

I've had cats that age have dentals, one was really poorly (severe untreated hyper-t) and Molly needed a dental at 18 and treatment for an abscess at 19, all fine. I'd do bloods first and drop before, during and after to help flush the anaesthetic out of his system quicker. Bad teeth can affect kidneys etc
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

In fairness to your vet, gums can go downhill quick and underlying conditions can affect them and vice versa. Different from tooth decay which takes a little time. Only thing I would have an up to date check on, now you know his heart is fine, is the condition of his kidneys. It's so common for older cats to lose some kidney function due to their very high protein needs and it isn't even early stage CKD until a lot of function has been lost and long before any signs show, as booktigger says bad teeth affect the kidneys but failing kidneys also affect teeth and in later stages cause mouth ulcers. My boy was 12 when he needed a dental and again at 13, and in between his very mild renal failure was discovered. All we did was have him in on IV fluids for a night before and a night after to help him through the anaesthetic. I know he was a lot younger than Blackie but he was absolutely fine.

All that said I would question your own vet again before going with what the locum says. Gum disease usually leads to problems with teeth but it takes time, a scale and polish takes tartar off the teeth and allows for close inspection and any extractions needed, but a dental doesn't cure the gum disease. So do question it - it may be the locum is right, but I would give your own regular vet a chance to explain or reconsider first. Also if it's not urgent some vets have a half price dental month.

When all's said and done you know your cat best and if you feel he is comfortable and don't want to take the risk then it's your decision.
Ducky
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Ducky »

Just my two'pennth about teeth health. I've recently put Sir Humphrey on ProDen Plaque Off (a plaque inhibitor) and Oratene (an antibacterial water additive which is also a plaque inhibitor) for his dental issues and mouth ulcers. He has FIV and his mouth was a horror story when I took him in. Both will take a little time to work but he had stopped grooming himself (the vet said, because of his oral discomfort) and within a month/six weeks, he started grooming again and drooling less. Perhaps read up on both and check out some before and after photos and see if it's worth you trying them on kitty.

Plaque Off is readily available (Amazon being your cheapest option) and well-tolerated. The specific cat version has brewers yeast added which (apparently) kitties like, but I give mine the cat & dog version (slightly cheaper) and they haven't noticed. The Oratene is not so readily available (just one UK importer that I know of, other than Amazon...happy to confirm details if needed) but is odourless and flavourless and has great feedback for treating gum disease and stomatitis.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

A belated thanks to those who replied to my query whether to go ahead with the cleaning of our cat's teeth.

I did speak to our own vet - She told me that the problem was due to a mouth ulcer which would heal. She seemed reluctant to go ahead with proper teeth cleaning. She suggested waiting for 2/3 months to see how things went with him. His appetite had been so poor (about 1 packet or less per day) that she felt it better to wait. "17 is a good age for a cat" she said which felt like she was writing him off! Her last words as I left were "you could try a Famotidine tablet" But she didn't sound convinced.

As a last resort, my other half and I got hold of Blackie, popped him in his carry basket and put a Famotidine down his throat. )We're not cruel ... Blackie will fight for his life if any treatment needs doing to him. 14/20 minutes later, a head peeked round the door looking for food - and he hasn't stopped eating since. I do have a supply of them for emergencies though would never give him one without the vet's approval.

Ducky ... I will investigate the items you mention so thank you for mentioning them.

Mollycat/Booktigger ... Blackie has had CKD for 6 years now ... we were very lucky to find it at a very early stage because.. he had to have a tooth removed. in 2014. Poor old boy is also arthritic in one of his front paws and back legs. But he has medicine for that twice daily with his food When he stops going out at night and difficult to get back indoors, I know the end will be near!