Cat in cage advice please

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat in cage advice please

Post by bikergirl2842 »

One of my three babies has been in an rta which resulted in a broken femur. I will try not get into a rant about whoever hit him leaving him so he had to drag himself home! The leg was so badly fractured our local hospital couldn't treat him and he was sent to the West Midlands referral Centre in Lichfield.

Judging by the X-rays the surgeon did a fantastic job but here is my problem: due to one of the fractures being very close to the knee joint (back leg) he couldn't fix it with as many screws as he would have liked so it is what he called a "fragile repair". This means my poor Tyson now has to spend at least three weeks in a 36" inch cage to stop him walking around.

It's only been a few days and he's already getting a little stir crazy, only in bouts as he is sleeping a lot but when he gets moody, darn does he go moody! Head butting the cage, throwing himself around etc. yesterday I cleaned his litter tray and the blanket in there and he got up, stood with front paws in the tray and started throwing litter everywhere, then laid back down and just stared at me! That showed me lol.

I've put the cage by the patio door, figuring it's better than looking at a wall all day. So far when I've had to go out, I left the telly on for him.

Any advice on how I can make his prison sentence a little more bearable for both of us?
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Cat in cage advice please

Post by elastu »

Welcome to CC.

I am so sorry. Being in rescue for many years I have come across this problem numerous times, sometimes the little ones have needed to be in a cage/pen for far longer than 3 weeks. I know how you feel about this little one and worried about the fact he is not happy but just remember you are the adult and know the implications of not keeping the little one contained, sadly some folks do not heed the vets advice because they feel sorry for the cat but they are not doing it any favours as the heeling progress will take much longer. I often used to open the pen door and lay with my head almost in the pen and give the little one some fuss as often as I could and they always seemed to enjoy these times.

Please let us know how you get on.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I agree. I had to keep my eldest girl cage-confined for 6 weeks AND during that time keep her as quiet as possible as I lived in a large block of flats where Siamese screeching would not have made me very popular! :roll: I spent a great deal of time lying on the floor stroking Lily, and even slept on the floor with my arm in the cage for a few nights!! (oh my aching back). As a trial I brought her out of her cage at night and into bed with me, and she would stay quietly with me all night, which was a blessing. During the day she was reasonably quiet as I worked from home and she seemed happy so long as she could see me.
These three (or more) weeks will be a real trial for you and the cat. As he is throwing himself around the cage I would seek the vet's advice re some mild sedation, although I'm sure any pain relief he is on should have that effect, and take it from there.
The very best of luck to you both. BTW, 6 years down the track and I'm STILL furious about my cat being hit and having to drag herself home from god knows where!! I'm sure I'd get censored if I used the language that I still feel like using. :evil:
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bikergirl2842 »

Thank you for your replies.

Unfortunately I was advised to not let Tyson out of the cage AT ALL, even clean around him. Today he made a leap out of the door while I was fussing him. I caught him mid air so no harm done. But he's trying already :? So taking him to bed with me is sadly out of the question.

On top of that he seems to also have a cold now, he's all snot and sneezing. I'm not sure if it's just because he's run down from all he's been through, but it's certainly not helping with his mood :(

Three weeks is only the time until his first follow up, I'm hoping I'll be able to let him out then but not sure at all. Might just be wishful thinking.

I do give him lots of cuddles. I've slept on the couch the first couple of night as he kept crying but now he seems ok if I leave the telly on for him. Would it help if I got some catnip or something like that? I tried Feliway when I introduced a new cat (which was Tyson) and it didn't make a difference.

I'm worried about going back to work but of course I can't take that much time off work (especially not now that I have to pay for the operation and vet bills). My friend - who also has his brother and sister - is checking in on him and giving him some love but he is going to be on his own for long times. My other two cats won't go near the cage at all.
moira
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 16

Post by moira »

Sorry you are going through this, it is very upsetting and worrying. One of mine was in rta two months ago - franctured pelvis and severe bruising to abdomen. He was in dog crate for 6 weeks and on metalam. It is hard to see their pleading eyes and sorrowful mew but it is for their own good. I used to clear everying out of his cage and get in their with him (I'm small, luckily) and have a good cuddle. I found that covering the sleeping end of the cage calmed him down. Happy to say he is now running around like a loony again.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I took in a stray last year that had been wandering with a broken leg, which the vet pinned and fitted an external fixator. Poor boy was stuck in a small cage in my bathroom for 12 weeks. It was horrible, and he hated it, but it was worth it to see him out climbing trees this summer. I did find that covering part of the cage helped, and I did also find that as time went on he was more 'accepting' of the confinement.

It's horrible, but the time will pass, and it's so very important that you stick to 'the rules'. It doesn't feel like it at the time, but it's worth it.

Gentle fusses to poor Tyson. My Basil sends his support.
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bikergirl2842 »

Thanks for all your encouragement and so glad to hear that your cats have recovered (and hopefully forgiven you lol).

Tyson is doing quite well. He is moving around better as he started bending the leg now at the knee while he kept it straight in the first week which didn't help his balance at all. He finished his antibiotics and painkillers (I was advised that I can get more from my normal vet if needed) but he doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain. He is also lying on the side where the cut was made which I'm taking as a good sign.

He's actually been quite good for such a boisterous boy. He has moments when he starts crying as soon as I move away from the cage and others where he doesn't want to know me at all. But over all he seems to have a settled a bit more. I am a bit worried about how he will turn out later because I leave the telly on for him whenever I go out, so he is exposed to a lot of gossip and talk shows now :lol:

Can't wait for the 28th when he has his first check up at the hospital.