Cleaning up scratch wounds

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
liquidblackuk
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Cleaning up scratch wounds

Post by liquidblackuk »

Molly has now decided its time to start fighting with one of the local cats who is a bengal and twice the size of her!
She just came in with a scratch below her eye and stains from the clematis (which she ended up in) down her nose.

I wiped all this off with a fragrance free baby wipe as it was nothing major. I know you can clean up scratches with salty water but are there any antiseptic wipes designed for use on cats that anyone knows of please?

Beki
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cleaning up scratch wounds

Post by meriad »

I think you'll be more than fine with just the salt water. As for the antiseptic, I think diluted hibiscrub would work
catsue
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by catsue »

As the scratch is just below the eye, check that the eyeball itself has not been scratched. Not always easy to see but if you notice Molly pawing at the eye or it starts to water, a trip to the vet might be wise just to make sure everything is okay. You've probably nothing to worry about as, even if the eyeball has been scratched, the eye usually heals quite quickly but occasionally they can develop into ulcers so best to be aware. :)
liquidblackuk
New Cat Chatter

Post by liquidblackuk »

In which case I shall hunt out the cotton wool pack so I have it handy if I need to use salt water. I'm just glad he (I know the cat and the owner) missed her eye. She's such an argumentative little cat sometimes, even has disagreements with her own sister.
liquidblackuk
New Cat Chatter

Post by liquidblackuk »

catsue wrote:As the scratch is just below the eye, check that the eyeball itself has not been scratched.
The eye looks fine and she seems quite happy. She's in now having a good wash. She scratched her cheek last week, I bet it was the same cat, why they have to antagonize each other I don't know.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

The problems happen if they receive cat bites. Our cats have developed abcesses after fights. Keeping them clean and keeping an eye on them is key.