how much should i feed my british blue boy?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Saga Silverdans
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

how much should i feed my british blue boy?

Post by Saga Silverdans »

Writing again with a query about my gorgeous british blue boy, a 3 yr old indoor rescue who I've had just over 3 weeks. I feed him dry food and have tried to source the best stuff. He is currently on adult indoor by the 'completely balanced food' company. I'm guessing he's around 7kg, he's huge and sturdy, like british blues are but not obese. Perhaps a little squidgy round the edges! I want to avoid potential diabetes etc and have a water fountain to encourage him to drink but I'm confused about the food amount. According to the food bag, an indoor cat his weight should get roughly 60g a day which seems so little! That's like 4 tablespoons of dry food. If i feed him twice a day, that's not much at all each time. What do other catowners suggest? X
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: how much should i feed my british blue boy?

Post by booktigger »

Based on 20g of dry being the equivalent of 1 pouch, that doesn't seem too bad. However, males are more prone to urinary issues and it is more prevalent in chunky cats, so I wouldn't feed purely dry food, even with a water fountain. Dry food is also thought to contribute to diabetes
Saga Silverdans
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Saga Silverdans »

Ok, thank you, if I combined the two that would that be better I suppose? X
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I feed my 4kg cat Zooplus's WIld Freedom dry, as she won't eat any form of fresh or wet food - and the recommended amount for her weight is 45gms - she's been on it a year and her weight has been stable
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Although it can be hard to see a cat's weight, body condition should be your best guide. I had a 4kg cat who put away a whole tin of wet every day plus titbits, and I've had a 5kg cat that left some of his two pouches - less than half the weight of food. Both in perfect body score condition and regulated their own food intake. I believe rationing can lead to greed and overeating but that's only my opinion.

This is a pretty good guide though some befuddle you by having a prominent spine and a huge saggy squidgy fat pad, the fat distribution seems to shift as they get old and a cat that was fat and has slimmed down will also be a different shape!
https://icatcare.org/advice/obesity-in-cats/