Why does my cat show this aggressive behaviour?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
gillybean129
Frequent Cat Chatter

Why does my cat show this aggressive behaviour?

Post by gillybean129 »

My cat is 3 years old, male and indoor. He sits on the bay windowsill, if he sees something that annoys him (ie another cat) he will jump down and starts to puff himself up to twice his size all his hackles rise and he approaches us aggressively, he actually attacked my husbands feet once and he's just approached me, jumped up on the sofa so I just ignored him and he went back on the window. He actually scares me when he does this.

Once he started making yowling like noises like when cats fight, it's as if he's taking it out on us rather than the other cat or whatever it is he's seen out there.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: Why does my cat show this aggressive behaviour?

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I believe this behaviour is called redirected aggression. He can't get at the cat who is in what he considers his territory, so he takes it out on the first thing he sees when he turns around, which is usually you or your bf.
I guess you just have to thank heavens that he doesn't express his aggression by spraying all over the place!! and pooping outside the litter box, very common ways of expressing aggression in such situations.
If you can do anything to discourage strange cats from visiting your garden, I would certainly try to do that.
gillybean129
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by gillybean129 »

Lyn from Australia wrote:I believe this behaviour is called redirected aggression. He can't get at the cat who is in what he considers his territory, so he takes it out on the first thing he sees when he turns around, which is usually you or your bf.
I guess you just have to thank heavens that he doesn't express his aggression by spraying all over the place!! and pooping outside the litter box, very common ways of expressing aggression in such situations.
If you can do anything to discourage strange cats from visiting your garden, I would certainly try to do that.
Thank you, I had an idea it might be that just he's not doing himself any favours as my husband tolerates him as he's always hissing at him. It would be the last straw if he did wither of the other things!

Our garden is not enclosed and anything foxes/cats can come in through the hedge if they tried, it's difficult to stop them entering. I suppose I could stop him going on the windowsill but that would be harsh.

I have been seriously considering letting him out instead of being an indoor cat, this might help him feel better but obviously I have anxities about cars on the lane. he's been indoors for 3 years now and I am sure he is stressed sometimes as he's previously hair pulled and had a UTI. What to do....
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

If you can't cat-proof your yard or a section of it, or a verandah perhaps, maybe you know someone who could knock up a large enclosure, or purchase one of the dozens you'll find on offer on eBay and online. You might even be able to install some sort of access from a window if you are inventive. If you don't feel safe to let him out, follow your instincts - even the smartest of cats can becomes tunnel-visioned when they are stalking a bird or a butterfly and wham!! It's just not worth the risk.

Insofar as discouraging other cats (don't know about foxes) - they may be attracted by a patch of garden which they use as a toilet. If so, do something else in that area, and in need perhaps dig them another patch of garden to use which is out of sight. These type of things may sound extreme, but only to anyone who isn't a cat lover!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yep, that's all good advice! Sometimes when our cats have had a little spat (usually over the 'best seat') the loser will hiss at another cat or even take a half-hearted whack at us. :roll:
We live in a very rural area and the road is fairly quiet. So our tribe get the run of our garden. But we do have a distant neighbour's Tom cat pay the occasional visit. He is a disagreeable, aggressive cat. We always know when he is about. If the kids are in, they sit in the window growling, spitting and puffing themselves up! As you say it can be quite frightening. If they meet him face to face they fly back into the house and straight under the bed!!
Something like this :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

bobbys girl wrote: Something like this :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hee, hee :lol: - I can just see them now!!