Do I always need a litter box in a crate?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
vlschlecht
New Cat Chatter

Do I always need a litter box in a crate?

Post by vlschlecht »

Hi. I’m babysitting my son’s cat. I will have them for many months. I just acquired a wire crate so that the cat can sit on my balcony and enjoy being outside and not escape. If the cat is in there for an hour or two do I need to have a litter box in there or will the cat hold it until I let them back in the house where their litter box is? I’m just not very knowledgeable about cat behavior. Thank you for your help!
Attachments
Picture of crate
Picture of crate
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Do I always need a litter box in a crate?

Post by Mollycat »

Hmm. Yes a cat can hold for a couple of hours, most will pee about 2 to 6 times in 24 hours.

Was the crate your idea or your son's? Is she used to this kind of arrangement, ie a crate on a balcony or outside? I take it you use your balcony to sit out too, and I guess you like to have the door to it open this time of year whenever possible? It's just that if you're not used to cats maybe we can help catproof your home so there is no risk of her sneaking out while she is with you but that might be better from her point of view.
vlschlecht
New Cat Chatter

Post by vlschlecht »

Thank you! The cat is indoors with me all the time. Sleeps with me etc. Now that winter is over I just like to sit on my balcony. When I sit on the balcony I feel bad for the cat looking at me from inside. Seems like they wanted out to join me on the patio. I have only used the crate so the cat can sit by me on the balcony. There are bird feeders nearby which I’m sure this cat would try to reach if left loose on the balcony. Or they could run away. We tried the crate for the first time yesterday and they seemed to really like it. I was sitting next to them. I put their transportation crate inside the big wire crate just in case they wanted a cozy place or a place to hop up higher. I’d like to begin sometimes leaving the cat out in the crate for a hour or two even if I’m not sitting right there and just wasn’t sure if I would end up creating toileting issues by not having a litter box in there. Thanks!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

could you contrive it so the crate's opening backs on to the opening in the door into the adjoining room, so the cat can leave the crate if she wants to?

another thing which might work is a lead and harness - the sort that wraps around the body - which would allow the cat to wander safely on the balcony if you could secure it and would allow a litter tray
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

The thing I was concerned about was the cat feeling trapped but if she enjoys it that's great. Also as Kay suggests I was wondering if the crate could be open into the room but you would have to block the rest of the doorway - cats are little escape artists and she might climb over the crate out of the open doorway to the open part of the balcony. Depending on her character she might be perfectly safe there but if you're not familiar with cats and their ways that would be risky. Only other thing I wondered was about a net to cover the entire balcony area so that you and her would both be out and free but escape covered by the net? Pigeon netting is not expensive, the fitting would be the trickier part.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I wouldn't attempt to join the crate to the door, too much risk for them getting on the balcony, and I wouldn't risk a harness and lead either.
vlschlecht
New Cat Chatter

Post by vlschlecht »

Thanks, everybody for your input!