2 new kittens from different litters fighting

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
percy_bertie
New Cat Chatter

2 new kittens from different litters fighting

Post by percy_bertie »

Hi, I would really appreciate some help. I am a first time cat owner and have a 4 month old Ragdoll called Percy. He’s bites and scratches sometimes but nothing nasty and he’s getting better with time. I decided to get him a friend but didn’t want to get the same breed so 2 days ago brought home a 2 month home Maine Coon called Bertie. He is quite a bit smaller than Percy at the minute. I followed all the rules of introducing like keeping him in a separate room and letting them have smells first. Then putting the younger one in a bad and letting the older one sniff around. But the younger one just growls and hisses. Now the older one seems much more on edge than usual and has started doing this weird panting thing. When I finally let them near each other they just fight so I have to pull them apart. They don’t hurt each other but there’s hissing and growling from the younger one. I bought a Feliway friends plug in, hopefully that will help. I know it’s only been a couple of days so I’m not too worried right now, I just didn’t anticipate these problems. Could I please have some advice on appropriate steps I should be taking and reassurance that they should get along one day. Thank you xx
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 2 new kittens from different litters fighting

Post by Mollycat »

Congratulations on being owned by two kittens!

If it's only been a couple of days, you are going way too fast with the introductions. Think weeks and months, not hours and days. Panting is often a sign of stress. Separate them completely and start all over again. Sounds like you're taking all the right steps, just slow it right down, at each small step repeat once a day for many days until they are both completely relaxed before moving to the next small step.
percy_bertie
New Cat Chatter

Post by percy_bertie »

Thank you for getting back to me!

Really helpful - I had no idea it was going to be this much work to introduce the second one. They’re just so cute and I want to be with both of them all the time which is why I think I’m being impatient. But for sure need to keep them apart for the time being. I’ve just been terrified that I’ve brought together two kittens that hate each other. Really hoping they will be lifelong friends if I follow all the steps.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I totally understand, a Maine Coon and a Ragdoll is cuteness and fluffiness overload! Hope you don't mind a bit of shedding and grooming!

I've been told boys are easier than girls to integrate. When you get to the introduction stage again, playing with them, treats, food, and catnip if they respond to it all help to make positive associations of each other. Keep us posted and pics always welcome!
percy_bertie
New Cat Chatter

Post by percy_bertie »

Thank you!

They don’t seem to like the treats I’ve got them so I think I’ll have to get some different ones. It’s really weird because they’re both weirdly well behaved kittens when you’re alone with them and then if they see each other through the door it’s just hissing and claws out. It’s been 3 days now. I would say for the first couple of days they were kind of pretending each other didn’t exist. Like I could be sat with the small one on my lap and the older one wouldn’t even notice him. Whereas now they’re more aware of each other and tend to cry more for the door between them to be opened. Hoping this is a step in the right direction.
nick iweekes
New Cat Chatter

Post by nick iweekes »

Hi how did they eventually get on? I've just done the same and feel I'm at a lost and qorry im not getting enough time with them myself too.Thry have only been together 2 days but they really don't like each other at the minute. where do I start with the bonding
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

engaging them together in play is your best bet, in my experience - a wand type toy or just a long piece of string will do

it works as a distraction, of course, but also teaches them to realise how much fun they can have playing together
Amber_o
New Cat Chatter

Post by Amber_o »

Hi, I would love to have an update on how they’re doing! We have just got 2 kittens, girl and boy from different litters, the girl was here first for 2 days, we did the scent thing and then put the boy in cage and let them see/sniff, the boy keeps hissing at her. Haven’t let them have free roam yet, doing the cage thing each day and swapping who’s in the cage. We also have a 15yr old cat! Trying to introduce the kittens slowly first and then will have to do them both to big cat! Bit worried 🤣
Beanmittens
New Cat Chatter

Post by Beanmittens »

Hi, I'm so glad that I stumbled onto this thread and I hope it's still somewhat active. I've been having the same issues with my two female kittens from different litters. My situation is similar to OP. I found a young kitten on 28 Apr. She's now about 8 weeks old but started biting and playing too rough with us so we adopted a slightly older (10 week old) female kitten thinking it would help calm her down. It has been two days and they really aren't getting along at all. The growling and hissing is scary to me and I'm not sure how to help them get along. I suppose more patience on my end is in order. I want so badly for them to be best friends. I am really struggling with all of this!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

After two days, they shouldn't be at the meeting stage yet, have you got a room to put the newcomer in, so they can get used to each other slowly?