My Bumble has kidney disease

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 10

My Bumble has kidney disease

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Hi
Hope everyone ok and staying safe.
So Bumble was admitted on Saturday. At first we’d put his lack of appetite down to teeth problems and sure enough when the vet checked, he looked like he needed 5 out. However she was concerned there might be something else going on so took bloods. His kidney reading was 575!! Should be 100 odd. They admitted him and put him on fluids. Called me later saying he’d perked up and had eaten a whole sachet of food. They kept him Sunday too. Took his bloods again Monday and it had only come down to 452. Suggested keeping him and doing bloods again today. Just had update. It’s only come down to 401. She said this means 75% of his kidney function is gone. No way of doing the dental obviously. He may get sent home today with a catheter and we inject fluids.
Just wondering who on here had experienced this. I’m so worried and upset. He’s only 10 and a beautiful ginger ball of love. Everyone loves him, even the vet has just said that.
Thanks
Sam x
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My Bumble has kidney disease

Post by fjm »

Many, many cats live many happy years with early CKD - talk to your vet about the treatment options, and do not get too anxious too soon. An excellent source for well researched and comprehensive information is https://www.felinecrf.org. A change of diet to a low phosphate food, preferably wet, will help to preserve his remaining kidney function, and there are lots of other treatments available. The diagnosis always comes as a blow, but there is hope.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear that. Ironically his dental issues could be causing his high kidney levels. A change of diet can certainly help and they may suggest medication but make sure they have done a urine sample before doing that. Good luck, it is such a shock when you get this kind of news, especially when it is unexpected
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Hi
Thanks guys. Yes urine has been tested too and that’s come down so that’s good. The vet is calling again after lunch so will get another update then. Xx
Sandra b
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Sandra b »

Sorry to hear Bumble has kidney disease. My cat Murphy has it too, he’s 17 and was diagnosed around 2 years ago. He is on Amodip for his blood pressure which is monitored every 3-6 months. A lot of cats (around 60%) with kidney disease also have Hypertension which worsens the disease so if it’s controlled then better for the kidneys. Has bumble been checked for this? It’s very important. Also I feed Murphy Royal canin Renal wet and dry food.
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Hi
The vets are doing all checks and he’s in good hands. I will mention hypertension though but I’m sure they’ve checked that. They’re very good He will be on a special diet for the rest of his life. Just waiting for the next update call. Xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Just one thing on the diet, not all cats take well to renal food, there is a lot of variety online, but if he refuses, senior food is the next best thing and you can buy phosphorus binders to put in normal food, the most important thing with renal cats is eating, whether or not it is the 'right' food. Ironically renal dry is more palatable
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

They have tried him on it already and he gulps it down, so looking good. Xx
Sandra b
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Sandra b »

Glad he likes the food, my boy does as well...there are so many varieties now, hills do a stew in small cans which Murphy loves. I would definitely mention the Hypertension, it involves taking a few readings over the course of the day and the Amodip is very palatable ( Murphy takes it like a treat).
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

It took me half a dozen attempts to find a renal food Tilly will eat - fortunately she has continued to enjoy it and has stayed pretty stable for a year now. I do have to serve it in small portions at room temperature in a shallow porcelain saucer, of course...! Meanwhile she is still supplementing her diet with mice, voles and, the other day, a baby duckling, which fortunately I was able to rescue undamaged.
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Mine our all indoor cats so thankfully, I don’t get presents like that. Good job as I’m vegan and animal mad.

So Bumble is home but not particularly happy. Very nasty to all the other cats. He ate a little food last night but really not much and not much today either. I think the tooth problem is really causing the not being able to eat as he kind of pushes
It around the plate and eats the odd morsel.

Back to the vets at 3pm for subcut fluids. She’s asked if it’s something I’d be willing to have a go at. It’s so difficult because I’m not actually seeing the vet. They come and take Bumble from the car and I wait. So she’s trying to think of a way to show me. Anyone had experience of doing this?

Xxx
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Is the food wet or dry? A wet food pureed so he can lap it without chewing may help both the toothache and the dehydration.
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

He’s no longer keen on the wet food, just pushes it around the plate. I’ve ordered both wet and dry renal food. Vets at 2pm today xx
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Bubbleicious5 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:21 am He’s no longer keen on the wet food, just pushes it around the plate. I’ve ordered both wet and dry renal food. Vets at 2pm today xx
How did you get on at the vets?

My first CKD cat had 8 healthy years on dry only as that's all that was available for renal support back then, and more recently my boy stopped eating the wet and was fine on dry only for a while until other issues cut him short. As for bad teeth, another one had no teeth at all behind her canines and crunched up her dry food without batting an eyelid. Funny little things, cats.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Sometimes dry is easier with bad teeth as they can swallow without crunching (disputing the fact dry is good for teeth!)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Agreed booktigger but Sarah crunched all right. Horrified us as she got out of the carrier and headed straight to the bowl and crunch crunch crunch. I couldn't even take a sip of water 6 hours after having one wisdom tooth out!

If dry were good for teeth it would rip gums to shreds, it's only the biting surface that comes into contact with the food. Might keep their jaw muscles exercised I suppose as we're not supposed to give bones.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Sam, one of my foster cats had 16 teeth removed in one go, it was on October and the vets had loads of samples left from dental month which they gave to the charity, I put some down for the other cats and Sam was eating them 24 hours later! :o raw bones are fine, just not cooked, and chicken wings are supposed to be great, might get some for C and C
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Thanks guys

I cannot believe how much he likes both Royal Canin renal dry food and the Hills kidney health dry food. It’s so lovely to see him crunching away. Vet was pleased with him yesterday and gave him more fluids. Today he’s eaten well. Back to vets 2pm tomorrow. It’s so weird not going in with him but that’s what Covid-19 has done. He’s having bloods done tomorrow. Fingers crossed the levels have come down some more. Xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Glad he is eating again, fingers crossed for his bloods tomorrow
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Thank you ❤️